cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difference between RFC adapter and a proxy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can any one tell me the technical difference between RFC adapter and a proxy?

reg

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

if you want to reduce the work load over XI server

then the best way is avoiding protocol conversion which adapters does(XYZ format to XML format)

if we use proxy which will be deployed on local proxy engine which in turn does protocol conversion instead of giving the job to XI.

i.e is (XYZ to XML format is done by proxy runtime and passed to XI at XI no conversion is done)

Regards,

Rama Krishna

nisarkhan_n
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

RFC and Proxy

Main difference:

RFC is runs on the Java engine and Proxy is an adapter less communication where both sender and receiver are on webASS 6.4+.

rodrigoalejandro_pertierr
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

did your doubt solve???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rodrigo Pertierra,

Thanks for your answer. And what I undesrtood from the answers is that there is NO SINGLE answer for this question. Of all the points mentioned here, I had some in mind and came to know more now.

Thanks,

-Naveen.

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Naveen,

> I had some in mind and came to know more now.

Can you share it,

Regards

Agasthuri Doss

Former Member
0 Kudos

Proxy always by passes the Adapter Engine and will directly interact with the application system and Integration engine - so it will and should give us a better performance than RFC

In RFC u must need adapter and hence a Predefined Interface to communication with other. So in this case one more level to travel to reach the destination.

rodrigoalejandro_pertierr
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are advantages / disadvantages for RFC / Proxies / Idocs. So if I am in your position depending upon the requirement I will choose one. Some of the differences are:

RFC and Proxy:

RFC/BAPI has its own overhead of function call.

Proxies communicate with the XI server by means of native SOAP calls over HTTP .RFC does not, so you have to convert from SOAP to RFC calls and vice versa. So XML conversion is required.

ABAP Proxies uses Webservice and Http Protocols.

If you use ABAP Proxy , you can reduce the overhead calling the function again and again.

Proxy and Idoc:

IDOC : After recieving the strucutred data It processes it using a Function Module associated with it.

Proxy : Proxy is a structure where there is no processing function module associated. You need to explicitly write the Business Logic/Call the subroutines here

This is my absolutely my view. Another guy has his own response. So first go through your requirements and then you can decide for what to go.

Also go through this urls which may help you:

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2006/04/19/xi-rfc-or-abap-proxy-abap-proxies-with-attachments

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/08/14/choose-the-right-adapter-to-integrate-with-sap-systems

Thanks

Rodrigo

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Adding to Rodrigo post

The Proxy has better performance when compare to RFC.

Regards

Agasthuri Doss

VijayKonam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Also,

RFC is Outside in methodology. Means, the XI develeoper would not have any fleibility in creating datatypes. All that he has to do is import and follow the RFC paramters.

Proxy falls in Inside out category, where XI develeoper has all the freedom to design data and Proxy would use it.

VJ