cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practices Installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't know whether I can post this question here or I should post it in some BASIS-related forum. I couldn't find the suitable forum for my question. This is regarding 4.7 version. We are trying to configure Best Practices - India (Baseline package) manually. Unfortunately the DVD on which the Best Practices documentation was sent to us is damaged and hence we are not able read some 'variant files' required to proceed with the manual configuration. These are .txt files (text files) on which some data is given and this data is required to configure the system in best practices. When we looked into service market place, they have pulled of the download links of BP Documentation for 4.7 version recently. Can anyone suggest me where I can get them? Usually these files are in a folder called "miscellaneous" on the Best Practices Documentation DVD. Or if someone can send me the folder, I would be very grateful. This is a bit urgent. Once again, if I have posted it in the wrong forum, I am sorry, and please suggest me the name of the right forum.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Aadesh Kumar.

aadesh26@gmail.com

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aadesh,

As u told u r looking for 4.7 ver "misc" folder for BP Activation.

I do have this folder, but of diffrent version......... ECC 5.0,

By my experience i feel that u can activate ECC 5.0 file instead of 4.7, There will be bit variation.

U can check them by Config guides of ECC 5.0 and 4.7.

If u r O.K with this i can send u the folder

Regards,

Vinod Palli

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

Let me see the file you have for 5.0 version. Please send me the file to my email address. Look at my first post. I don't think the folder is bigger than 20 MB even after zipping. If it is bigger than 20 MB, you can upload it to "rapidshare" and send me the download link through email. In case you need any clarification about "rapidshare", you can send a mail to my gmail address. I hope there won't be much of a difference between the two versions in this respect so that I can use the files that you intend to send me. Many many thanks for the help!!

Regards,

Aadesh Kumar.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aadesh,

File was sent to your gmail.

Please reward points if helpful.

Regards,

Vinod Palli

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for sending the file. Though it is not directly useful for me, at least I could see the contents of the file and could understand.

Regards,

Aadesh Kumar.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Aadesh

See also these links[SAP Best Practices|http://www.supplychain-consulting.com/uploads/File/SAP%20Best%20Practices%20-%20Function%20in%20Detail.pdf]

[Installation|http://help.sap.com/bp_blv1500/BL_US/html/installation_page.htm]

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Lakshmipathi,

Please go through my detailed post once again if you want to really help me! First of all, what I need is the set of 'variant files' given in the documentation DVD of version 4.7. The first link you gave me is for "B32 SAP Best Practices Installation" for 5.0 version. We have finished it (of course for 4.7 version, not for 5.0 version) and gone ahead next into the J02 Organization Structure where we couldn't proceed due to the reason I have mentioned. Due to the absence of these variant files, which are nothing but some text files containing details used in creation of records like customer master, material master etc. Normally these are used by BASIS consultants in automatic installation of best practices. SAP is giving all the steps for manual configuration in their BP documentation. But, some data required to create some objects like I mentioned above was not explicitly given in their config guides but rather they referred to the variant file names on the DVD. We could have downloaded the DVD from service market place again but as I said they recently pulled it off their site for 4.7 version. Without these variant files, we could not exactly replicate the best practices installation manually. I hope you understand the problem now.

Thanks,

Aadesh Kumar.

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

My Dear Friend

I am really surprised to see your comments

"if you want to really help me!"

What do you mean by this?? With the intention of helping only, I had posted the link. May be the link would not have yielded the desired result but that does not mean I just pasted the link without going through your post. I have gone through the link but the version you indicated has missed my attention.

Last but not least, when you comment something in this forum, you should be careful and ensure that it is not hurting the other end. Hope you will take this in right spirit !!!!!!!!!1

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Not only did you miss the version number but the country version too. By the way, if I am speaking of 'variant files', 'manual configuration', 'specific country version' of best practices, obviously I am aware of what the "best practices" means. The first link in your second post leads me to a rudimentary PowerPoint Presentation on Best Practices which can probably be used to impress a novice in SAP ( a prospective client, for instance!) in a pre-sale presentation but will not serve any purpose with regards to this thread. I have at least half a dozen of such presentations myself. If eight lines of my carefully composed, well-framed question yields three links of superfluous information, out of which none is even remotely close to what I have asked, I wonder if some people presume that there is a hidden rule or custom in this forum that they MUST respond irrespective of whether they have the answer or not, or whether they understood the question or not!

Often, the person asking a question is at a disadvantage because of the difficulty in understanding the right answer given by the knowledgeable members of the forum. A true forum with a good community spirit should try to HELP a member in need by clarifying the questions. It should not become a place of confusing cacophony wherein for example, if you ask a question about CIN, a dozen members will jump in readily with a readymade copy + paste of some old (and stale!) configuration steps, which were probably written for the first time by a patient, helping individual somewhere in another forum long time back. None will spend even 10 minutes to modify/improve upon those steps!! And another half a dozen members will jump in with a suggestion to the questioner to look into the FAQ before posting. All in all, if you say "CIN", you need to browse down the thread at least for 20 to 25 pages to know where you are. It has become a "sin" to say "CIN" on this forum I hope you will also take this in a lighter vein!!

Regards,

Aadesh Kumar.

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Aadesh

Go through this Building Block

[SAP Best Practices Installation|http://help.sap.com/bp_bblibrary/500/HTML/B32_BPR3Install_EN_DE.htm]

thanks

G. Lakshmipathi