cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

message type and datatype

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

what is the differnce between data type and message type?

regards,

keerthi

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Data type defines the structure of your xml message.Message type is the wrapper of data type.You will be using your message type while mapping and not the data type.Its the abstraction concept used in oops

A data type in a programming language is a set of data with values having predefined characteristics. Examples of data types are: integer, floating point unit number, character, string, and pointer.

The characteristic of columns and variables that defines what types of data values they can store. Examples include character, floating point and integer

Check out the details:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_type

A message type comprises a data type that describes the structure of a message. At the following points in SAP Exchange Infrastructure you can refer to the message to be exchanged at runtime by using the message type:

details:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/2d/c0633c3a892251e10000000a114084/content.htm

2) Regarding the difference between XI 3.0 and PI 7.0, this threads will clear your doubts:

data types just define the abstract XSD structure . but since In XI we are using XML langauge. so We need a Root element in our message. that root element is added by Messagr type.

means data type is just an abstarct structure and message type add root element to data type.

and one message type corresponds to one data type only............

Thanks

swarup

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Swarup,

It's really awesome man! How come u are typing these much fast? I was just curious, I really appreciate it. That too with no spelling mistakes, hats of to you!

raj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

I have maintained few of the study materials and good discussions as for my own reference.

Its almost from last two years I am maintaining these kind of good information for my personal reference.

Whenver similar kind of discussions arrived I use to share that.

I have collected most of it from verious discussion in SDN as well as verious forums such as SAP Fan club, ERP engine and many more.

Currently I am trying to saggrgate all that info in organized way once its ready so I could share it with all experties. for kind suggestions. Thanks...

Thanks

Swarup

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Swarup,

Oh really, thatz good. Keep up the good work.

raj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Raj..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swarup,

I just read your answer today and its perfect..

Infact I have read many of your answers in various replies.

All are awesome..

Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge.

Regards,

Shaily

Answers (0)