cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTPS or SFTP for file scenario. Suggstions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have searched blog in sdn but do not get good blogs/links.

For File scenario which to use FTPS or SFTP.

How to do the configuration in XI and Visual admin.

Full points will be awarded.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

1) SFTP (Secure File Transfer Protocol)

"SSH File Transfer Protocol" or SFTP is a network protocol that provides file transfer and manipulation functionality over any reliable data stream. It is typically used with the SSH-2 protocol to provide secure file transfer. SFTP encrypts the session, preventing the casual detection of username, password or anything that is being transmitted. One key benefit to SFTP is its ability to handle multiple secure file transfers over a single encrypted pipe. By using a single encrypted pipe, there are fewer holes in the corporate firewall.

SFTP:

As per the latest SAP PI/XI support pack, it does not support SFTP via File Adapter.

So alternative approach to cater this requirement from XI is to make use of Unix Script at OS level to transfer the files from/to third-party systems.

Inbound Interface - i.e. third-party system ->XI->SAP:

File is transferred to a folder in SAP XI landscape from the third-party legacy system using UNIX Script with secured protocol. Once the file is ready in the XI landscape, File Adapter will poll this directory and file is picked up by NFS protocol.

Outbound Interface – i.e. SAP->XI->third-party system:

XI is responsible for writing a file into a folder in the XI landscape. These files are transferred to the third-party system by executing UNIX scripts with secured protocol i.e. via sFTP.

Pre-Requisites:

Public key should be exchanged between external systems and the PI system.

UNIX shell script has to be developed and scheduled.

Advantages:

Highly Secured.

Ability to handle multiple secure file transfers over a single encrypted pipe .By using a single encrypted pipe, there are fewer holes in the corporate firewall.

Disadvantages:

Two-Step process i.e. XI>Temporary folder>External System and vice-versa

Files have to be temporarily stored in XI server.

Multiple failure points i.e. XI and Unix script execution

Maintenance of an external UNIX script.

Difficulty in monitoring the execution of the shell script as it cannot be monitored thru XI.

Need to generate keys and install it in the SFTP site as a pre-requisite i.e. SFTP clients must install keys on the server.

SFTP uses keys rather than certificates. This means that it can't take advantage of the "chains of trust" paradigm facilitated through Certificate Authorities.

Files from the XI server should be deleted/archived in a periodic manner to increase the disc space so that it will increase the performance.

Note: UNIX shell Script can be executed as a background job ‘or' can be triggered from SAP XI through OS command at File adapter level.

/people/krishna.moorthyp/blog/2007/07/31/sftp-vs-ftps-in-sap-pi

/people/krishna.moorthyp/blog/2007/07/31/sftp-vs-ftps-in-sap-pi

Regards,

Phani

Reward points if Helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Phani,

Thanks for quick response!!!

Lets talk first for Outbound Interface:

1.Outbound Interface - i.e. File System ->XI

Pre-Requisites:

Public key should be exchanged between external systems and the PI system.

If I use FTPS for Outbound Interface

a. who will give me Public key for external system?

b. how will I generate Public Key for PI?

c. where the PI Public Key will be stored in external system

and where the external system public key will be stored in

PI.?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Anybody pls answer my above question.

Full points will be given

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

From were u have bought the FTPS s/w is it from the SAP then i dont know the procedure to get the public or private key,if the FTPS from the third party then the third party will give u the Public and private key.

In common all will have the public key,but one person who will receive the data will have that Private key,using that key he can check the data which u have sent.

Regards,

Phani