cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i5/OS - Operating system file details

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have to set the file systems of i5/OS and DB2 for SAP installation. I expect your vaulable guidance to set up file system for i5/OS( OS file system) like what we do for linux & windows (os,translog & datafile)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

check 705962 iSeries: File system structure for SAP systems with iSeries for file system information.

just follow the installation document.

adjust the OS parameter as per document.

installation is easy.

regards,

kaushal

Edited by: kaushal malavia on Mar 3, 2008 12:55 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am telling about i5/OS file systems..I mean only the system files(libraries) of i5/OS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

No need to set files systems on AS400 for installation. SAPinst sets up most of these file systems automatically during installation.( same as windows )

SAPinst asks for the ASP in which it should install the new libraries for ABAP .

Before you run SAPinst to install your SAP system, you must decide how you want to distribute the

SAP system data, that is the corresponding libraries where the data resides and their associated journal

receiver libraries on ASPs (auxiliary storage pools).

For ABAP components, database objects (for example, tables, indexes and views) are stored in library R3<SID>DATA

For Java components, the equivalent database objects are stored in library SAP<SID>DB.

after installation you can found following library on AS400.

For ABAP System.

R3<SID>DATA : This is the data library for ABAP.

R3<SID>JRN : This is the journal receiver library associated that is associated with R3<SID>DATA.

For ABAP + Java System

R3<SID>DATA : This is the data library for ABAP.

R3<SID>JRN : This is the journal receiver library associated that is associated with R3<SID>DATA

SAP<SID>DB:This is the data library for Java.

SAP<SID>JRN :This is the journal receiver library that is associated with library SAP<SID>DB.

for this type of installation you use the same ASP for the data libraries of ABAP components (R3<SID>DATA) and Java components (SAP<SID>DB) and the same ASP for the two associated journal receiver libraries (R3<SID>JRN and SAP<SID>JRN). It can be helpful for future enhancements

Keep the libraries that contain the data objects, and their associated journal receivers in different

ASPs. This enables data recovery after disk failures, and improves performance.

Further more check SAP note 654801. and installation document.

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am quite clear with the ASP's of data and journal libraray but where can we assign R3<SID>AOPT,R3<SID>UOPT,R3<SID>400,R3<REL>ARF ,R3<REL>ACPIC,R3WRKnn ,/usr/sap & R3*.Can I mingle these file systems with the ASP of journal library

And I am more concerend about Q file system partition details such as

/root ,/QopenSys ,/Qsys.Lib ,/Qopt,& /Qfilesvr.400 .The mentioned Q file system should come in ASP or in OS itself. what is the partiton size should I assign to each mentioned Q files and their RAID details as well.

if I am keeping Nw2004s (EP) and ERP in the same system as a separate LPAR means would it require single integrated file systems or Shoule we assign indiviual integrated file system( Q files).

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

R3<SID>AOPT,R3<SID>UOPT,R3<SID>400,R3<REL>ARF ,R3<REL>ACPIC libraries remains on system ASP.

further information you can find at ibm.com/redbooks

search for Implementing SAP Applications on the IBM System i Platform with IBM i5/OS

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

System ASP means under which directory on the i5/OS system and how much size should I assign for those libraries.....you mean to say R3<SID>DATA & R3<SID>JRN should be independent ASP (iASP).so the Q files also will come under the system ASP..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

depend on you what configuration you want.

how much size should I assign for those libraries --- in AS400 it's not like UNIX/AIX that you create a file system with specific size. libraries remain on ASP which you selected during installation

if you want to implement independent ASP check 568820 iSeries: Implementing an Independent ASP (iASP) System

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

a) In a nutshell ..I am giving some rough idea about i5/OS LPAR details to implement SAP...if you want to suggest anything on it means pls do so i can use it .The available disk size with me is 1200 GB for ABAP component

System ASP ( All Qfiles and other library files excpet R3<SID>DATA ,R3<SID>JRN will reside on) - pls suggest the size

ASP 1 ( R3<SID>DATA ) - 500 gb

ASP 2 (R3<SID>JRN) - 500 gb

pls put ur comment..

b)I am going to keep five system in single I5/OS so let me know your comments for this as well.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Which SAP system you want to install i.e DEV , QAS , PRD ?

how many users will use this system ?

how much memory available on your server?

i am going to keep five system in single I5/OS so let me know your comments for this as well.

what do you mean you install 5 different SAP instance on same server?

in our case we used 1200 GB HDD (considering 5 years future growth) in our production system

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Memory is 24 GB and the installation is PRD

Five system means .for example CRM ,EP ,PI ,ERP & BW in single I5/OS .Like PRD server(1200gb) each one has its own disk unit .Now suggest me..

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

for example CRM ,EP ,PI ,ERP & BW in single I5/OS

what do you mean by single i5/OS ? on single LPAR or you used more than one LPAR to install this system.

are you decide to allocate 1200 GB fro R3 ECC Production system?

in our case R3 production system have two ASP.

ASP1 contain OS and R3 journal library size is around 280 GB

and remaining is for ASP2 which contain R3DATA library. this is only for R3 production server.

we use 5 LPAR and 5 different sap instance in each LPAR.

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

My scenario also same like your enviroinment..

Single i5/OS means ..An i550 machine on which i5/OS is being installed so the single machine to serve the five servers

What is the size you assigned to ASP1 .Pls let me know the kept file systems in ASP1 (everything as it is)..it would be more useful to me .

I am also going to have five LPAR's for diffrent SAP server purpose(CRM,SCM,BW ,PI & ERP).so let me know all your system ASP details ..if possible pls paste it over here.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

i already provide details of my R3 ECC 6.0 Production system.

same configuration for BW production server,

BW development server have 700 GB HDD ASP1 - 300 GB ASP2 - 400 GB

R3 Development have same config as BW DEV.

R3 Quality server have 1000 GB HDD ASP1 - 300 GB ASP2 - 700 GB

you can decide the size of ASP according to your SAP system usage .

generally ASP1 have OS and journal library after backup we delete journal library once in a week manually.

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

So in ASP1 you have kept OS files ( all Q* files ) and journal librariesR3<SID>AOPT,R3<SID>UOPT,R3<SID>400,R3<REL>ARF & R3<REL>ACPIC ...in RAID1

Am I correct ?... then where you have located /usr/sap

& /sapmnt/trans .I mean in which ASP .

ASP2 for R3<SID>DATA (raid5)

ASP3 for R3<SID>JRN (raid5)

Please correct me if anything is necessary in the given details.

so a single OS system will serve the five servers ..Am i correct.

in i5/OS cluster function is enabled by default?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes

Central instance ( i.e /usr/sap/...) is on ASP1 (RAID1)

and DATA file is on ASP2 (RAID5)

we have only two ASP in each system. ASP1 contain OS + Journal + Central instance

ASP2 contain Data file

in you case you can configure it according to your requirement.

so a single OS system will serve the five servers

-> Each SAP system is on different LPAR and having i5/OS

in i5/OS cluster function is enabled by default?

No, and right now we are not using cluster.

for more information on SAP on i5/OS just download the redbook of IBM

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247166.html?Open

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi kashual,

Please let me know your enviroinment file system set-up in both ASP1(system ASP) & ASP2 to each system (BW,BI,SRM etc...).The answer from you to this question may clear all my doubts..

Really your contribution as of now should be appreciated much.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi kashual,

Please let me know your enviroinment file system set-up in both ASP1(system ASP) & ASP2 to each system (BW,BI,SRM etc...).The answer from you to this question may clear all my doubts..

Really your contribution as of now should be appreciated much.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

can you clarify environment file system set-up for each system in ASP1 & ASP2

i did not understand, what information exactly you want?

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

I meant the each system(SCM,SRM,BW & PI)

will have its own integrated file systems(all q*files), /usr/sap, journal libraries & journal receiver libary on RAID1 - ASP1

the datafile will be separately on RAID 5 - ASP2

if I am wrong pls correct.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes you are true

each SAP system is on separate LPAR, each LPAR contain i5/OS, each SAP System have its own integrated file systems(all q*files), /usr/sap, journal libraries & journal receiver libary on RAID1 - ASP1

and the datafile will be separately on RAID 5 - ASP2

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

what about the swap or paging size in i5/OS..Where can we assign it.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

there is no particular option to set SWAP on i5/OS

For paging memory, there is shared memory available on System i models, as long as the

disk units are not full

also consider Note 808607 - iSeries: Memory management in a system based on PASE

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Kaushal and Daniel,

You coud leave data library R3<SID>DATA on the system ASP, and create ASP2 for journal receivers. (like the example in Figure 8 of section 3.8 in the NW7.0 SR2 iSeries ABAP guide)

Also you could combine multiple SAP systems in one i5/OS system or partition. (lower maintenance efforts in many cases)

Just another option for you to consider.

Best regards,

Victor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shall I start the installation by not at all considering about either paging size or swap.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes

just follow installation document.

installation is very easy

Regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

To my SCM system (LPAR) I want to use Windows 2003 server instead of i5/OS ..Is it possible ..if its so then how to do.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes it is possible, we don't have this type of setup so i don't have enough idea about that.

contact your IBM support person

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

what is the advantage of placing datafile on ASP1 instead of ASP2.Could you mention the document link of NW SR2 for i5/OS.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

what is the advantage of placing datafile on ASP1 instead of ASP2

it's depend on you how you want to distribute the data.

generally ASP1 is system ASP which contain system file so you assign ASP2 for data file.

Could you mention the document link of NW SR2 for i5/OS.

can you explain what exactly you want?

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am having 1000 gb hard disk space for an LAPR .As I want to keep the journal files separately to be away from Q* files(os files) I have decided to go with three ASP'S.

ASP1 - Qfiles (OS files) RAID1

ASP2 - Journal files RAID1

ASP3 - SAP data files RAID5

now suggest the size of each ASP for better performance

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

it's depend on you how you want to distribute.

in my case there are two ASP

ASP1 -- > 260 GB ( contain OS + Central instance + journal receiver library )

ASP2 -> 1000 GB ( contains R3 data )

in your case you can distribute like following ( for example only)

ASP1 - Qfiles (OS files) RAID1 -> 200 GB

ASP2 - Journal files RAID1 -> 100 GB

ASP3 - SAP data files RAID5 -> 700 GB

or you can change size if you wise

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks..Still i am not clear with the concept of paging size on i5/OS. the availbale memory to an LPAR is 10 GB ..Can I configure the RAID setup and simply can go for SAP installation without considering about paging size?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

yes i already suggested

For paging memory, there is shared memory available on System i models, as long as the

disk units are not full

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have gone through some documents of i5/OS .In that they mentioned Journal receiver files should be on a separate ASP (ASP2) and data ,exe & etc on ASP1 (system ASP)

My doubts are

1.data files should be on RAID5 so how can we keep it on ASP1 as OS files also going to reside there.

2.obviously OS files should be on RAID 1 & System ASP (ASP1)..How this one can be clubbed with datafiles.

Clear the doubts

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

have gone through some documents of i5/OS .In that they mentioned Journal receiver files should be on a separate ASP (ASP2) and data ,exe & etc on ASP1 (system ASP)

yes that's right in case of production server.In the case of a loss of data in the ASP of the database libraries, this ensures that you can recover the data using the journal receivers in the separate ASP

in you case you used three ASP's one for OS, one for journal, and other for DATA.

also read Note 654801 - iSeries: ASP configuration of the database for ABAP and Java so you get some idea.

and also read the relevant installation document.

you can also go with two ASP for production system.

following part is form IBM red book

-

The availability of the journal receivers is improved when stored into a separate ASP. It is

more likely to lose two disks in a large RAID-5 array for the application data rather than in a

small separate ASP for the journal receiver. In a mirrored disk implementation, both related

disks must fail in order for a commit control function to be lost.

The use of a separate ASP is a relatively expensive feature. Disk space must be separated

into parts. The advantage of the evenly distributed data over all disks is lost. When you divide

the disks for the application data and journaling, consider a separate ASP for the journal

receiver and also the following factors:

The size of the disk drives

The number of disks and number of disk arms for performance reasons

The type of data protection required (RAID-1, RAID-5, RAID-6)

The location to place the disks (system unit, expansion unit, external disks)

The type of controller

The primary reason to implement journal receivers in a separate ASP is to help guarantee the

availability of the journal receiver. Other recommendations are:

There is no need to set up a separate ASP2 for the journal receiver if you have a high

availability (HA) solution for your production database.

Only one separate ASP2 is required for all journal receivers of the different databases if

you have multiple production SAP systems on one machine or one LPAR setup.

It is not advisable to install one separate ASP for each production SAP system. Therefore,

you do not have ASP2, ASP3, and so on, on one server or in one logical partition.

For customizing, test, and quality assurance, and other non-productive SAP systems, you

do not need a separate ASP for the journal receiver. Implement all journal receivers of all

non-productive SAP systems on one machine or logical partition in the system ASP.

-

regards,

kaushal

Edited by: kaushal malavia on Mar 17, 2008 4:56 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Could you please suggest the ASP's and RAID set up to my production server ( no H.A ).I am clear with the DEV server ASP'S.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

RAID and ASP set up is performed by IBM consultant only.

you can use three ASP's or you can go for two as per document.

ASP1 - OS files

ASP2 - DATA

ASP3 - journal receiver

if you have any confusion then contact your IBM support person.

in our case, this setup is done by IBM AS400 consultant.

regards,

kaushal

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Daniel,

All data, executables, file systems, etc... should be should be located on the system ASP (ASP1), with the exception of journal receivers and even this is optional. There is no advantage to attempt to spread out data across different ASPs. Just put everything on ASP1. The only storage issues you need to worry about is if your system has enough total disk space. i5/OS takes care of allocating storage for everything including the database and the file system. If you optionally choose to configure an ASP2, then you will have to determine how disk units to initially allocate to it, but even then if you run out of space on ASP2 it will overflow to ASP1.

Historically, the reason for putting journal receivers on ASP2 was primarily for performance reasons, but with improved disk and disk controllers there is no performance advantage for doing this anymore. However, locating journal receivers in a separate ASP does provide some level of data resiliency as disk failures and loss of data on one ASP won't mean a loss of data on another.

Obviously you are not an i5/OS person and you are trying to apply Linux/Unix knowledge to the i5/OS. I would suggest that you take some time and learn a little bit about i5/OS. The Redbook "Implementing SAP Applications on the IBM System i Platform with IBM i5/OS" is a great reference. Start with chapter 8 "i5/OS from an SAP application view".

Kolby