cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to Upload the image into XMII server from a desktop

0 Kudos

Hi,

Can anyone let me know how to upload the image from my laptop on to the server which i should be using in my pages. I tried using Image Loader and Image Saver. But it lead me no where. Is there a detailed documentation for this ?

Thanks for your help in Advance.

Regards,

Deepthi lakshmi.A.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you mean you want the user to be able to upload files? If so I asked this question recently and got some replies.

If you mean you just want to copy the file to your server, then use the "Import" facility in xMII 12 workbench, or in 11.5 use copy and paste in frontpage, or map a drive to the xmii server and copy it across that way.

Hope this helps

Nick

0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

Thanks a lot for reply. My Requirement is something where in End user should be able to upload the images from a page on to the server. It is dynamic . So i cant use Import facility. I tried to use FTP File Input after installing an FTP server on my PC. But i could not even proceed with that option. Can you send me the page which you used to upload the file on to the server?

Thanks once again for your help.

Regards,

Deepthi lakshmi.A.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sorry Deepti, I haven't actually managed this yet.

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepti,

Could you give some details on what you are trying to achieve.

Is this a use case scenario where images need to be uploaded by a handful of people using some web UI?

or

Is this a use case scenario where you wish to upload images from the harddrive of absolutely any user?

The reason for my questions is as follows.

If you wish to allow some high-level (technically savvy) users the ability to upload images to be shown in dynamic content for remainder of the public, you could, in theory, set up a network directory that xMII is able to see. These High-Level users could drop their images in the folder and specify the path in a text box.

You could go one step further and use Get Folder List action from within an Xacute transaction and display the list of images in this folder on a web UI. Users could pick the image from the list and "Bob's your Uncle!".

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Jai.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmi,

You could use one of the following approaches to achieve what you want:

1. Write a custom action block to upload the image file to the server from the client box.

2. Design a HTML text field in your GUI. User will enter a network path for the file URL (note that it should be a vaild network path, not c:\.. or d:\, it will be something like
server1\shared\image.jpg) in this field. You could simply use this network URL value in your trasanction to copy the file contents, to whereever you want to.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks,

Sara

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for your valuable inputs. I am very much new to XMII. Can you please provide me any link which can guide me on building custom action blocks?

Thank you.

Regards,

Deepthi lakshmi.A

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lakshmi,

You should have some experience in java to build and deploy custom action blocks in xMII. Anyhow here is a blog, which talks about building custom action blicks:

[/people/rupesh.bajaj/blog/2007/12/04/beginners-guide-to-create-custom-action-block|/people/rupesh.bajaj/blog/2007/12/04/beginners-guide-to-create-custom-action-block]

You should design and build your custom action block in such a way to meet your requirement. For example, the custom action block should be able to launch a file browser on your network (or from your local system) and when you select a file in the file browser, it should build a network file path for the file you selected in the file browser (even though it may be a file residing in your local computer). Here the custom action block just servers the purpose of building the network file path.

In my opinion, if user can enter the network file path for the file they want to upload, having just a text field will solve your problem.

Thanks,

Sara