cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enterprise SOA or a marketing style !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I know about the SOA and the eight principles that a SOA architecture must try to follow. Also that SAP XI/PI allows us to service enable a lot of things. But i have been to sdn website after sometime and i see this term Enterprise SOA. I also just checked out the new version of SAP PI details (which has few mapping enhancements and XML validations at adapter/IE level). The other main marketing difference that i noticed that they have renamed Integration Directory to ES directory. Is Enterprise SOA just a marketing Buzzword or is it something other than SAP PI. Thanks

Best wishes,

NAB

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

VijayKonam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Enterprise SOA is nothing but SOA implemented at Enterprise level. As an enterprise integration architect, one must be able to figure out the over all enterprise level services (operations) needed and should be able to make them available for all the other systems/services to connect to them without asked to be able to know the technical details of implementation of these services.

PI is a tool provided by SAP to achieve this. Any other systems want to connect to enterprise services would be able to do so by connecting through various adapter available in PI.

IR is renamed to ESR and is enabled with UDDI so that, any one at organisation would be able to search for the available services ad use them instead of waiting for some one to provide WSDL or any other required details.

This is in my words. The technical definition might differ.

VJ

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi NAB,

SOA and ESOA are slightly different.

From a Technincal point of view both are the same. But From a functional point of view different.

In the world of ESOA, enterpeise activities typically say

Sales Order Processing, Invoice processing etc are service enabled.

The orchestration of these services to bulid up a total enterprise application is what ESOA does.

A simple webservice, maybe a standalone simple functioanlity which supports a unit case, maybe for example Credit Check mechanism.

Thus a ESOA based service is very rich in business content, along with the benefits of SOA.

Also with PI7.1 there is a concept of service regiatration comming up. Thus ESR along with the registry helps in Service provisioning too.

Hope this helps.

Reward points if useful

Regards

Abhishek

Edited by: Abhishek Vinayaka on Mar 2, 2008 10:22 PM