Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

data migration

former_member211104
Active Participant
0 Kudos

hi , everybody

i m shyam want to know about data migration is done in which phase of the asap methodology. what types of tools are used in data migration? is lsmw is outdated ?

plz reply me, thank uuuu.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shyam,

Classical data migrations are typically limited to master data and

tend to cause multiple negative impacts on workflow and oper-

ating business units.

To minimize costs, risks, and effort during a data migration and ensure a smooth changeover for operational business processs items, and better reporting

capabilities SAP recently come with a Data Migration Solution called SAP Accelerated Data Migration tool.

This advanced tool, coupled with support from the SAP Services organization and SAP partners, lets you easily migrate and integrate application data from any legacy system into SAP applications – and reduce migration costs significantly.

If this information helps you understand trend better, do reward points.

Kind Regards

Sandeep

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Data Migration is transfer of Data from Non- SAP system to SAP system using some technologies and tools provided by SAP.

SAP provides following techniques for Data Migration :

1.BDC Batch Data Processing and call transaction.

2.SAP supplied Batch Input and Direct Input programs

3.BAPI/RFC

4.ALE/IDoc

SAP provides following tools for Data Migration :

1.Data Transfer Workbench

2.LSMW

3.CATT Computer Aided Test Tool

4.IS-U Migration Workbench

I hope this will reply ur query. If u need more info, reply.

please award points to this.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shyam,

Data migration is done in 4th phase i.e. the final preparation stage of ASAP methodology.

As far as LSMW is concerned, BDC and LSMW both are use for loading data into SAP system. The difference is ,LSMW is loading tool by SAP where you can use various methods to upload, massage data or cleansed your data while loading into SAP from legacy system. The method can be BDC, BAPI, Idocs or SAP ABAP codes. Usually in BDC the user has to write an ABAP program or use other utility to load legacy data.

LSMW has been developed mainly for the Functional people who has no knowledge of the technical aspects of report or BDC in ABAP because its very user friendly and handy to use. So, simply they can upload the master records using LSMW.

Do reward points if it clarifies your query.