Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

file to file scenario. Pls help

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I have to make file to file scenario.

XI will pick file from File Sender System and put file at

File Receiver System. From there file will go to printer.

File name has to be constant at receiveing system like "ABC.txt"

There is one condition:

Now suppose there is file at Receiver system and Printer gets jammed so file will not be picked from Receiver system.

At that time XI should not send 2nd file and should wait till the

receiving file directory is empty again.

How to implement the above condition.

Pls suggest.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rich,

i think I have also given you an alternative approach. You can try that also.

Ranjeet Singh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ranjeet ,

I am sorry that I missed out to mentioned about your suggestion given in previous post.

Your suggested solution is also pretty feasible. But here I have one concern as the XI should not process the file with next data untill the old data file will not be processed. As per your well explained suggestion have to maintain the two folders one as working one and final.

If in case XI have processed two files with different data and printer is jammed then you need to make the development or settings on receiver side to handle all these files.

But this could also an alternative solution.

I agree with you about having the error message in XI as per my suggested solution but that will be after reaching the max limit.

If you need to process the single file with uniqe data at a time via XI interface and not to touch the next fiel with new data then I think the solution sugested by me will work out. If the receiver system is capable to handle the multiple files then your suggested solution alos will work.

Thanks

Swarup

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ranjeet,

I read your alternate thread. If you see his reqmt, he needs to take file from one location and push into another. If you want java/Abap to take care of it, then why we need XI? For pushing to working folder you need XI and from working folder to the other folder u need Java/ABAP. Do u think the end client will accept for it, As for as ur concern u want to make sure it's free from XI :-). No Ranjeet, your idea is good but involving two or more work for simple process will lead to complexity isn't it. See there are lot of uncertainities happen I understood that. Not only XI, any technologies in the world need to face it.

As well suggested by Swarup ,and my opinion will be to go for IS_RETRY_LIMIT option would be the best. It's my personal opinion.

raj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

>>As well suggested by Swarup ,and my opinion will be to go for IS_RETRY_LIMIT option would be the best. It's my personal opinion.

This would result in error in RWB( communication channel monitoring) until the first file is picked and deleted by the printer. Ideally this should not be the case.

Just my 2 cents

Regards,

Jaishankar

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jai,

That's what I said in the other thread. It will fail, but we can re-start always in worst case scenario. Do u suggest any other way?

raj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree with Raj as this will failed after max retry of processing.

I am doubtful aboutthe alternative because I don't think in File adapter we could any provision for hold on based on the availability of file in the receiver system.

There is one way that you could add logic in adapter module and check for the existance of file and if file exists then the processing will be stopped by raising the smart exception.

Or ..is there any other alternatice be posssile. Please anybody have suggestion for the alternatives.

Thanks

Swarup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

Unfortunately no Just wanted to share my opinion on this coz. being involved in Production support for some time, the first and last thing you worry about is an error message popping out here and there.

Regards,

Jaishankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

For my condition

a. File is there at Receiving System Folder

b. Printer gets jammed so file will not go to printer

c. At that point XI should not send next file till the receiving

system folder gets empty

So except applying Adapter Module Logic is there any way to do this.

Pls let me know it is urgent for my project.

Regards

Edited by: Rich H on Mar 1, 2008 5:23 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rich,

Have you tried the suggested solution as have suggested in the above posts.

Let us know the updates about it. Cureently I don't think there is any alternative solution available apart from it.

Thanks

swarup

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>Pls let me know it is urgent for my project.

Rich,

Please refrain from using words like Urgent in forum. It is considered rude. Also, do not post multiple threads for the same topic. If you need further clarifications, reply in the same thread.

P.S: Retry time is not calculated based on the polling interval you specify in ID, but is based on a separate setting. I am not sure where this can be configured for now.

Regards,

Jaishankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Pls let me know how to solve my condition problme with using Adapter Module logic.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As no pne is replying to my question i am awarding points to Swarup for his help.

thanks all

Regards

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rich,

I don't have any idea on how module logic will help your scenario. Also I don't know why u r not relying on IS_RETRY_LIMIT. Let me ask some more questions, how much time do you expect for the Printer to get resolved (~approx)?

What's the frequency of the sender channel?

raj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj ,

As suggested by Swarup and you

File Construction mode == Create

Checkbox "Overwrite Existing file" should be unmarked.

- Fine enough.

My Question:

*" If printer get jammed then at receiver system folder file will not be sent to printer and then XI should not send next file till the receiving system folder gets empty (printer is up)"

Simply means -- if at receiving folder a file is present XI should not send next file till receving folder is empty."

Your and swarup suggestion:

In File adapter you normally set the poll interval as 1 min or 2 mins or may be 5 mins. So in tcode

SXMB_ADM ---> Integration Engine Configuration --> Specific Configuration -->set parameter of IS_RETRY_LIMIT with current value as 5.

How above suggestions will solve my condition I am not able to get.

Regards

Edited by: Rich H on Mar 1, 2008 9:13 PM

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Rich,

Seriously I couldn't understand why u are opening multiple threads. It's not like you open new thread the solutions gonna be different, always the solution will be same. It will be easy for u to track as well as easy for us to suggest. Plz co-operate with this, we know that u are in urgent situation, but opening multiple threads doesn't solve ur issue for sure, it makes the participants to be frustrated and left your question unanswered, plz understand this.

I hope u can undestand!

I know ur scenario is only File 2 File, I don't what could be the frequency of the Sender File or how often the File will be triggered. I will try to explain the best possible way I can.

I'm going to explain with example , IS_RETRY_LIMIT - 2

See,

First trigger , File picked by XI and sent to Receiving folder , Printer picked the file - XI Job is done.

Second trigger, File picked by XI and sent to Receing folder, Printer is jammed - XI Job is done.

Third trigger, File picked by XI , it couldn't able to deliver to the Receiving folder ,coz file ABC.txt is already there. So please understand the concept of IS_RETRY_LIMIT, XI retries once again after some interval, it couldn't able to deliver,file is there. - XI Job is not done- in process

Fourth trigger, File picked by XI , it couldn't able to deliver to the Receiving folder ,coz file ABC.txt is already there,(Printer is not resolved yet, Second trigger file is already there). XI will retry to send file again after some interval it couldn't able to deliver,file is there. - XI Job is not done- in process

XI retries the file for Third trigger process, it couldn't able to deliver, XI set the message to FAILED status.

Fifth Trigger, File picked by XI , it couldn't able to deliver to the Receiving folder ,coz file ABC.txt is already there,(Printer is not resolved yet, Second trigger file is already there) XI will retry to send file again after some interval it couldn't able to deliver,file is there. - XI Job is not done- in process

Printer Problem Solved

File Picked by the printer, Second Trigger is done.

XI retries the file for Fourth trigger process, it successfully delivers the message to the printer - XI Job is done

XI retries the file for Fifth trigger process, it successfully delivers the message to the printer - XI Job is done

Sixth Trigger, File picked by XI and sent to Receiving folder , Printer picked the file - XI Job is done.

So, now the job continues as usual..

Now your question might be what to do for the FAILED message in the Third trigger, As I mentioned in the other thread, you need to re-deliver it by the link given in the other thread.

I hope u can understand , how IS_RETRY_LIMIT helps in your scenario!

raj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Rich,

Plesae don't mind.

I think this question was already answered by me as well as have explanined by Raj also.

Here You should use the

I think you are clear upto this point.

Later part will be as you are expecting that if the printer get jammed then XI should pick-up the file. But XI will wait upto certain limit only.

In File adapter you normally set the poll interval as 1 min or 2 mins or may be 5 mins. So in tcode

SXMB_ADM ---> Integration Engine Configuration --> Specific Configuration -->set parameter of IS_RETRY_LIMIT with current value as 5.

Suppose your poll interval is 1 min then the XI will wait for max 5 * 1min == 5 mins.

This way you need to fix the max time duration that XI will wait to process the file. Here in above e.g. XI will try to process the file after each min for 5 times.

I hope now its clear to you.

Thanks

Swarup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swarup,

>>I think this question was already answered by me as well as have explained by Raj also.

A perfect case where you should not spend time. It is worthless explaining a lot of concepts and solutions when the questioner doesn't even bother to look at the replies and post a new thread for the same problem.

Regards,

Jaishankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Jai,

Thanks for your Suggestion.

I will take care further. I was just trying to calrify the dobut and to convinience the solution.

But ya its of no use to add two post for same questions as solution will be same......:-))

Thanks

Swarup

Edited by: Swarup Sawant on Mar 1, 2008 4:49 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I apologize not to reply at time.

Fine enough.

For my condition

*" If printer get jammed then at receiver system folder file will be there then XI should not send next file till the receiving system folder gets empty"

Your suggestion:

Suppose your poll interval is 1 min then the XI will wait for max 5 * 1min == 5 mins.

How your above suggestion will solve my condition.

Regards