Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

error while uploading roles from quality to production

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear friends,

I have to upload roles from quality to production.

I have downloaded it from qualtiy but while uploading to production it is giving me an error "File does not contain valid data".

Can anybody tell me what could be the problem and how to resolve it.

Thanks in advance

regards

Nirgun

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nirgun,

I think the most probable cause for your error message is a character codepage (ANSI/UTF8/UTF16.....) mismatch between the systems. Unfortunately I do not know where exactly in the system these setings are kept, that could even be in the gui settings. However, I do know how to tackle the codepage problem:

When downloading go to the point where you go get the file save dialog and go into the drop-down-menu called 'Parameter'. Choose one of the UTF16 settings at the bottom of the dropdown list and memorise or write down which one you chose.

Now download your role(s) and save the file.

Go to your target system, choose upload role in the PFCG menu and select the same parameter in the file open dialog.

But, I also think roles should go through your systems by transport. Download/upload is there for copying roles to different landscapes.

Jurjen

11 REPLIES 11

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nurgun,

Why don't you transport them?

There have been some threads here before about formatting files for download / upload roles...

Please use the search and keep an eye out for somebody called Jurjen Heeck...

Kind regards,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI matore,

the best way is to transport the roles from DEV to QA and then to production as julius suggested

are you trying for mass down load are single role

Mass download

go to PFCG >> utilities>> Mass download>> select all the roles which you want to move it to production

and execute save it on desktop

now go to production system>> go to PFCG>>in menu click on roles>>click on upload>>select the file which is saved in desktop and click ok

mass generation of roles

in the menu click on utilities>>mass generation>>give the role names with you have uploaded and click on execute select all click on genetate button

download a single role

go to PFCG>>in the menu click on role>>click on down load and save it on desktop

now go to production system>> go to PFCG>>in menu click on roles>>click on upload>>select the file and click ok

now you needs to manully generate the role

do the user comparison

hope this helps

thanks

kishore

jurjen_heeck
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nirgun,

I think the most probable cause for your error message is a character codepage (ANSI/UTF8/UTF16.....) mismatch between the systems. Unfortunately I do not know where exactly in the system these setings are kept, that could even be in the gui settings. However, I do know how to tackle the codepage problem:

When downloading go to the point where you go get the file save dialog and go into the drop-down-menu called 'Parameter'. Choose one of the UTF16 settings at the bottom of the dropdown list and memorise or write down which one you chose.

Now download your role(s) and save the file.

Go to your target system, choose upload role in the PFCG menu and select the same parameter in the file open dialog.

But, I also think roles should go through your systems by transport. Download/upload is there for copying roles to different landscapes.

Jurjen

0 Kudos

Dear friends,

Thans for your answer.

I have downloaded the roles successfully.

but while uploading it is giving me same error.

and i know that roles should be transported to prod.

But we have created the roles in Quality not in Deve.

So if i wil go for role transportation then request will be created in quality with name like WSQKXXXXX. Is it correct way to create reuqest in quality and transport it to prod.

Because of this only i am using download/upload.

Please suggest better way.

Thanks in advance

regards

NIrgun

0 Kudos

I think you should create a transport in your quality system and then import it into DEV so DEV is up to date again. Or you could try to upload into DEV if upload into PRD is not working. From there you're back to normal for transporting DEV-QUA-PRD.

0 Kudos

Dear Jurjen Heeck,

Is it possible to transport the request from QAS to DEV and then DEV-QAS-PRD??.

regards

NIrgun

0 Kudos

>

> Is it possible to transport the request from QAS to DEV and then DEV-QAS-PRD??.

Yes, although you'll need some extra work done to get a transport released from QAS into your DEV importqueue. Talk to your basis team for that. Once your roles are in DEV again I advise you to create a new transport to get them back into your landscape.

0 Kudos

Hi Matore,

if upload option is not working then you needs to create a transprot reqest in QSA and transprot to DEV

or you can do remort client copy with only profile using the T-cdoe SCC9

SAP_UONL User Without Authorization Profiles and Roles

hope this help you

thanks

kishore

0 Kudos

Can you upload roles to PROD, yes? But do NOT do it!

This is your best course of action. Download the role that have been modified from QA then upload it on DEV. Start testing in DEV, if it passed the test, create a transport in DEV to move to QA, retest in QA, then finally transport to PROD.

Please do NOT take any shortcuts, do the right thing!

0 Kudos

There seems to be agreement that creating roles in DEV and transporting them in general is the better way of doing things.

Besides that, I still don't understand something: If it is your design / decision to create the roles in QAS, then why do you not want the transport request to show that it is from QAS. This is a usefull feature of transport requests, so that you can see which system is the source (which should be changed first in future changes, and then transport again).

Depending on how many roles there are, it might be easiest for you to recreate the roles in DEV and then follow the DEV => QAS => PRD path for them, or even... accept it that these roles have QAS as their source and can only be changed by admins with access to change roles in QAS.

Kind regards,

Julius

0 Kudos

Dear friends,

Problem has been resolved.

I have performed "mass transport".

Thanks a lot for your help.

regards

Nirgun