Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legacy Data, MDM and ECC

former_member496675
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are using SAP supplied repository for consolidating Material records. This repository is just a small set of all Material fields available in ECC. We are planning to bring in data from legacy system, de-dup it in MDM and then send it to the target ECC system. However, we am not sure that after sending this data in ECC, how can we then complete this data in ECC with the rest of the values from the legacy system. We don't want to manually extend these records in ECC as this would mean a lot of work on users side. What other options are available that we can use to complete this data programmatically (ABAP, ALE, BDC???). What does SAP recommends?

Thanks,

T

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If u can get the extra fields which u need to populate to ECC in csv format in a table, then while syndicating in syndicator u can use Merge items to create extra fields and Map this CSV source to them .Below is the link about how to Proceed with Merge items and what is it.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_mdm550/helpdata/en/ff/37e4c6857449388ddb6c77f160ac4f/frameset.htm

If found helpful then do reward points.

Regards,

Neethu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi TechX,

I can understand that u are using standard Business Content for Material to load teh data from the legacy and pushing it back to ECC after cleansing.

Before Enriching the Data there are few points taht have to be taken care .

I fear if u r deduplicating and merging also creating a Global ID then that data can not be pushed to ECC back using Remote syatem coz ECC does not have any global field kind of thing.

Secondly Data enrichment can be done even in MDM also through Data Manager or other ways can be done through ABAP code as mentioned in the replies above.

Thanks N Rewards

Deepankar

Please reward me points if u find the blog useful.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

However, we am not sure that after sending this data in ECC, how can we then complete this data in ECC with the rest of the values from the legacy system.

As your MDM will have complete data from ECC and Legacy, you can send this complete record to ECC. Thus no need to create manually in ECC.

Hope this helps,

+ An

former_member496675
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.

We are maintaining the material data in MDM. However, we are just maintaining the basic data (description, unit of measure etc.), not the complete record. Once we send this basic data to ECC and get this record created, how do we then populate data for other views (accountring, costing, quality, forecasting etc.) in ECC? Manually? (and spend so much time and effort on it) or programmatically (what are the options?).

Please don't suggest to maintain ALL data in MDM as

a) Maintaining all the views in MDM is not very well supported. (I have done that, I know)

b) That's not a part of the plan

Thanks in advance,

T

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi TechX,

from my point of view, ABAP programming is best way to do because using ABAP reports you can apend data to different tables as well as can modify in the table you require. So use the method first extract data from the tables you want to input or say take the input and using modify statement you can alter it in interanal tables of R3/ECC system.

BR,

Alok

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi TechX,

It all depends on the needs and expectations of the organization from each system.

You have to check if the missing data in ECC, which exists in the legacy system, is needed in ECC. If it is not needed then why adding it to ECC? MDM can hold the complete set of data coming from different sources, and still both sources have unidentical data.

Edna