cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP MMC User Authentication

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I noticed in NW 2004s the MMC requires domain user authentication when trying to start / stop an SAP system. I do not want to have to keep entering the SIDadm password each time I need to restart a system. I have discovered this is the new webservice method which is utilizing the DCOM interface of sapstartsrv.

The password is cached when the MMC remains open but needs to be re-entered the next time MMC is launched. Our domain accounts have a strong complex password policy and I find this extremely inconvenient to have to keep entering the password every time.

I do not wish to disable the webservice authentication entirely so that anyone on the network can stop / start a system. All I want is to stop / start any system from the MMC when I am logged onto the O/S as the SIDadm without requiring a password .

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

James,

You are correct. This is a security enhancement to prevent unauthorized users from stopping and starting services. I suspect this was put in place in large part due to the architecture changes required by the new MMC service capabilites that SAP is offering to non-windows users. Your MMC is now exposed and this is SAP's way of protecting the services. We have complained to SAP both about the exposure of these services and the lack of user segmentation based on username/roles for MMC access given the new security infrastructure.

Check this Note SAP Note 1014480 SAP Management Console (SAP MC) and blog /people/dirk.jenrich/blog/2007/05/30/do-you-know-the-sap-management-console-sap-mc

I am not aware of a work around for password entry.

jwise

Answers (0)