Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information from auditor

Former Member
0 Kudos

I gurus...

I am currently involved in implementing security for the organization .Wanted help to list down the questions i should ask to the audit control group in the organization .I wanted to make sure i get specific answers from them which will help me to place proper controls.

6 REPLIES 6

Former Member
0 Kudos

Typically, the auditors are the ones who ask the questions

If you are involving your internal auditors at an early stage, then try to find out about their procedures (like when they plan to audit you, whether they co-ordinate audits with the external auditors and other QA audit groups), ask them about their own control requirements (they might have a self-assessement questionnaire which they can give you. They might even have a set of "best practice" or "examples of good controls" which they have dreamt up or collected over time. Or they could put you in contact with folks in the organization whom you don't know yet, but have already been audited and solved certain issues.

If their interests are in improving the controls in the company, they will share this information with you and not wait for an audit to surprize you... or "catch you"...

Take note that in some companies, contacting the auditors for any reason is considered to be a generally bad idea. So perhaps check with one of your colleagues about this. On the other hand, if you ask, then you will get an answer and possibly more questions (also from the auditors...).

Good luck,

Julius

0 Kudos

Thanks Julius .

Had a meet with them and found that they did not have any clue on what need to be audited ,and as you said got more question than answers ...

Can i get a list of basic audit checks that are done in SAP .

0 Kudos

Hi,

Pls check your Authorisation Roles, User Master...

Example : PR - PO Approval, Movement type code, Purchase Access Control to Sales and other Store persons, Finace Roles Like that....

Rajesh.

0 Kudos

Hi ,

Add on to the Julius comments,i would like share few points:

In ur scenario i guess auditors may have some doubts after u receive ur EWA from SAP.According to that they may ask u to tune ur security set up in system, which is what we r doing now in my scenario.Cos SAP will always suggest few comments in that EWA with warnings....auditors may point out on them...If this info is wrong pls ignore...

Rgds,

Gadde.

0 Kudos

Happy are those, whose auditors have no clue what to audit: This brings you in the driving seat. You can tell them how the system is build and what they should investigate. But be aware you might get external auditors who are experienced EDP auditors.

as as starting point go to SAP Help security and look in www.sapsecurityonline.com

0 Kudos

> SAPChizal wrote:

> Can i get a list of basic audit checks that are done in SAP .

Some auditors contribute to and use the resources from http://auditnet.org/

Regardless of your auditors, you may want to "mock" audit yourself first (I mentioned "self assessments" previously).

Or find a colleague to review your work / system and you review theirs - nothing wrong with exchanging opinions, or even solutions...

You might even find a different company which you do not have any conflicts with to do such a supervised peer review with?

Or just hang around and use the search at SDN etc

Actually, many companies are driven by audit requirements (or worse) and not their own free will and interest on security.

Sometimes there are unfortunate and expensive side effects...

FYI: A while ago, I thought of suggesting to SDN to create an "Audit Alert" forum, but did not progress further than the thought of it.

When auditors find something, they tend to spam it around sooner or later and clone it to other customers (sometimes without checking all the details in advance...)

This is perhaps also their job, being independent and all. That is all fine and well; but sustainable solutions to audit issues are hard to find sometimes...

It was just a thought of mine, which might help self-assessments and preparing for an audit (in addition to auditnet.org etc)

If anybody thinks this might be helpfull, then perhaps SDN would create such a forum (in addition to the Security Forum, the GRC Forum and all the other forums).

If there is a demand for it (hopefully not only limited to security) then feel free to post a response.

Kind regards,

Julius