cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapping not using IDocs as source

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I wish to get some advise from you if it would be possible to do mapping wherein your data are sourced directly from an SAP R/3 table. There is a table that contains all the data needed for your target fields.

In this case, no IDoc is being sent to XI.

Given this scenario, what trigger mechanism would you suggest in order to initiate the mapping? Is it possible to automate the trigger in XI?

Your response is very much appreciated.

Thanks a ton!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Lex,

Do u want to get some table values in R/3 during Mapping isn't it?

raj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Raj,

Yes, I want to get table values in R/3 during Mapping.

Pretty much, the structure of the table in R/3 contains all the data sourced for the mapping.

We use Oracle tho as the database.

Thanks!

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Lex,

Plz confirm, do u want to get during mapping? or the values will be your source message?

During mapping then it's RFC Lookup.

If you want it as source message, then it's not good idea to get the data from SAP Database directly. Better option would be write RFC and then trigger from R/3.

raj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Raj,

The values will be the source message.

If you are suggesting about the RFC, I was wondering how the trigger mechanism is setup or what initiates the trigger.

I found some guide on rfc though, but would you have anything available that is specific to this kind of scenario?

Lex

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Lex,

You can write own RFC , or there is RFC called RFC_READ_TABLE which gets the input of table name and give the response, you can use that to trigger.

raj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jai,

I'll look into the version of our R/3 and XI. But basically, both R/3 and XI should be running > 6.40 right?

1. ABAP Proxy (Web As >6.40) Most stable & Recommended

Lex

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>both R/3 and XI should be running > 6.40 right?

Dont worry about XI. Even the old version XI 3.0 comes with WebAS 6.40. PI 7.0 has Web AS7.0.

You only got to check you R/3 system.

@Raj,

Well. That was exactly what I had in my mind when I wrote "JDBC adapters are not preferred".

Regards,

Jaishankar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Everyone, thank you so much!

YOU guys are AMAZING!

Former Member
0 Kudos

>>YOU guys are AMAZING!

You know what, just these 4 words keeps the whole SDN wheel in motion

Regards,

Jaishankar

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

nisarkhan_n
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is not possible to retrive the data direclty from the SAP R/3 table into XI with out using any mechanism.

If you dnt wish to use the IDOC then i would suggest you use an RFC strucure import that RFC strucutre in SAP XI, you need to send that data into RFC strucutre that dumps into XI.

you can use the following methods to snd data to XI

1.IDOC

2.RFC

3. Webservice

without using any of these methods XI cannot retrive data directly from R/3.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The data is stored in SAP table means as per R/3 architecture it will be in database table such as Oracle or DB2 etc, So if you wish to not use IDOC then you could directly connect SAP XI to database table.

You could use JDBC adapter for it and have the structure of database table.

Probably you could use the ABAP mapping to pass the direct values to the source structure.

Thanks

Swarup

Edited by: Swarup Sawant on Feb 28, 2008 6:58 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Swarup,

It is not a good idea to access a R/3 table using JDBC adapters.

@ Lex,

If the data in the table is your source message you have 3 options.

1. ABAP Proxy (Web As >6.40) Most stable & Recommended.

2. IDOC - Preffered especially if the scenario is asynch and a std IDOC is available.

3. RFC - Preffered especially if the scenario is asynch and a std RFC is available.

Regards,

Jaishankar

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jai,

Welcome back buddy, seeing u after long time :-). It's true that we should not directly connect to SAP Database. If it's the case then why we are using JCO connection to call BAPI in Java, we can give directly the database connection in java and get the records right? It's always not good to connect directly to the DB.

raj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Raj.

>>If it's the case then why we are using JCO connection to call BAPI in Java, we can give directly the database connection in java and get the records right? It's always not good to connect directly to the DB.

Sorry. I am lost here. Are you asking me the question or just adding more to my opinion JDBC adapters are not recommended here?

Regards,

Jaishankar

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Jai,

Sorry for misleading, I want to add to your opinion. I said, let say Java program needs to get data from table in SAP. Why people are not giving directly the connection details of DB server and fetching the data? Coz it's not suggested way, that's the reason we are creating JCO calls and calling BAPI's, am I right?

raj.,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jai,

I agree with you to not connect the SAP databse tables directly. But then without RFC or IDOCs there will not be any option to get the data from SAP tables directly.

Thus I have suggested. But from security point of view this should not be preferred. If the transaction is within the same division or may be in same company then this could be the option.

But ya I don't think there will be any reason to avoid RFC or IDOCs.

As Raj have suggested we could go for own coustomized RFCs.

Thanks for your suggestion

Thanks

Swarup