Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question Using CMS to transport objects

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm using CMS Moving Configuration Objects between Environments

I'm new to CMS.

Step 1: In my XI DEV environment, I select the scenario that I wish to export to our QAS environment using CMS:

The conclusion of this step creates a transport that the Basis team then uses CMS to import into XIQ.

Step 2: Basis team uses CMS to “import” the transport I created in XI DEV environment into XI QA.

Step 3: In my XI QA environment, I view the transport that has been successfully imported into XI QAS. It has only the objects associated with the scenario I exported from XID:

This is where I start to get confused….

Step 4: The Basis team “assembles” the transport in CMS. They are waiting on an “approval” from me before the transport gets loaded to production. In XI QA I now see two transports:

The first transport (with a direction of “import”) was my transport that was created in XID. The second transport (with a direction of “export”) is new. This is probably what is being loaded to XIP. Could this have been created during the “assemble” process within CMS?

This new transport has ALL configuration objects associated with all of the scenarios in XIQ, including the configuration objects from my new scenario.

Is this correct behavior? Should I be passing everything to XI production or just the configuration objects associated with the transport I created in DEV? When using CMS, does it push everything from XI QAS to XI Production?

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

there is a blog about this topic:

/people/praveen.mayalur/blog/2007/05/31/configuration-of-cms-in-central-nwdi-sld-to-transport-xi-objects

and the first reference in this blog might also be helpful:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/f85ff411-0d01-0010-0096-ba14e5db...

Regards

Patrick

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

SudhirT
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

You should transport only your namespace/scenario i.e. the objects associated with your Namespace/scenario but doing this way all your namespaces under your SWCV will also be visible in production, but there will be no object within those namespaces. So you needn't worry abt that.

I guess this answers top your question.

Thanks!

Sudhir

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think that makes sense, but just to confirm, let me ask the question differently.

When I export Integration Directory objects from DEV to CONS (QA), I do so by selecting a single scenario with XI DEV.

Basis team imports the scenario and everything looks good in CONS (QA).

Basis team then “assembles” the transport. When they do this, I see a new transport getting created that contains Directory Objects for the “whole of the Integration Directory” (when viewing the Transported Objects tab for that transport). This new transport has a status of “Exported Successfully” with a direction of Export.

The next step is an “approval” step.

When this gets approved, do the changes get moved to production OR is there a separate import to PROD step?

Finally, if ALL of the Directory Objects are getting moved from CONS (QA) to PROD in a single transport, will they overwrite the existing values of their “Transport Target” with the values that they have in CONS (QAS)?

For example, will an existing interface in PROD that has a communication channel set to a “PROD” file drop zone path be overwritten the value of the that is set in CONS (QA) environment?

Note: we haven’t used CMS to load objects from CONS to PROD in the past, it’s always been done using File Exports.

Thank you!

VijayKonam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Chris,

I assume, you must have exported only the single configuration scenario from you Dev XI using CMS. Now when your basis imports, them you will see them in QA. You will update the communication channel details in QA and complete your testing. Once testing is over, you basis people would assemble them. Now you will have new transport object genrated in the approval tab with only those Objects of you scenario. Once you approve them they will sit in PRD. But unless you activate them in PRD, they will not work.

Since you told that, this is the first time you are using CMS for PRD, may be thats the reason CMS is exporting all of the stuff in the QA XI to PRD XI. If you go ahead, you have to reject the all the newly added configuration scenarios in PRD XI, and activate only the ones you want now to go to prd. This way, next time I assume CMS would not transport all of the objects from QA.

VJ