cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

J2EE engine licence expired on slow machine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

The licence for my local J2EE engine has expired. I understand that it is possible to enter a permanent licence key (which my company has), but here's my problem.

I am told that there should be a short window where the servers go green in the SAP management console, during which time I can use the Visual Administrator to log in and find my hardware key which I need to get the licence key.

However, my machine is quite slow, and the 30 minute time-out in the J2EE engine means it never reaches that window during those 30 minutes. So I can't get in to find my hardware key.

I have 2 Gigs of RAM, but the laptop is a relatively old Dell Latitude D610 1.6 Ghz.

I was wondering whether there is a way of starting the J2EE engine with a reduced set of services, so that it loads faster and gets me to the point where I can log in with Visual Admin to.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Andy

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Andrew,

You do not need to wait for the GREEN status to access the Licensing Adapter service. Just wait until the J2EE state changes to "Starting Applications". At this point all services are started and you can log into the visual administrator. The performance will be sluggish while application are continuing to start; however you will be able to install the license using the Licensing Adapter service.

Another option is to put J2EE in safe mode so that applications are not started at all. You can set SAFE MODE by starting the Configtool and navigating in the menu to File-> Safe Mode.

Regards,

Nathan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

You can get your Hardware Key using saplicense command line.

<dir>\usr\sap\j2e\sys\exe\uc\NTI386\saplicense.exe -get

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Isaias, that's really helpful. I've managed to get the hardware key.

Now the challenge is still going to be how to start up my J2EE engine, maybe with limited processes, so it does not hit the 30 minute time-out prior to giving me the window where I can enter my licence through Visual Admin. Would still appreciate any suggestions on thaat.

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

You can try the saplicense -install .

saplicense '-install ifile=/tmp/license_file.txt'

Another option is you try to connect to VA before all services are loaded, isn't necessary to wait all services be loaded to VA works.

regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks again Isaias. We've now got the licence key from SAP and I tried to enter is using saplicense.exe and got the following error (this is a printout of my dos command window)

E:\USR\SAP\J2E\SYS\EXE\UC\NTI386>saplicense -install ifile=J2E_J2EE.txt

• SAPLICENSE (Release 700) ERROR ***

ERROR: Can not set DbSl trace function

DETAILS: DbSlControl(DBSL_CMD_IMP_FUNS_SET) failed with return code 20

RC-INFO: error loading dynamic db-library - check environment for:

dbms_type = <db-type> (e.g. ora)

DIR_LIBRARY = <path to db-dll> (e.g. /usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/run)

E:\USR\SAP\J2E\SYS\EXE\UC\NTI386>

I don't think I can go the VA route as I cannot connect that way, so I want to pursue this route.

Do I need to have a variable DIR_LIBRARY filled in somewhere.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

Try it.

E:\USR\SAP\J2E\SYS\EXE\UC\NTI386>set DIR_LIBRARY=.

E:\USR\SAP\J2E\SYS\EXE\UC\NTI386>set dbms_type=<db type>

Where <db type> can be:

ora : Oracle

ada : SAP DB

inf: Informix

mss: SQL Server

db2 : DB2

I hope help you

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks once again Isaias, and sorry to trouble you again, but I don't know what value to use for the set DIR_LIBRARY= command. The error message is prompting the folder /usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/run, which in my case would be /usr/sap/J2E/SYS/exe/run, but no such folder exists. Is there a particular .dll file that I can search for on my machine, so I can use its location as the path for that parameter?

(I have searched my machine and I don't actually find a folder called 'run' anywhere).

Regards,

Andy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Andrew,

You can put

E:\USR\SAP\J2E\SYS\EXE\UC\NTI386>set DIR_LIBRARY=. (dot) therefore, current directory

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Ok, I've tried that. Now I get the following error (printout of my DOS console shown).

E:\>cd \usr\sap

E:\USR\SAP> cd \usr\sap\j2e\sys\exe\uc\nti386

E:\USR\SAP\J2E\SYS\EXE\UC\NTI386>set dir_library=.

E:\USR\SAP\J2E\SYS\EXE\UC\NTI386>set dbms_type=ada

• SAPLICENSE (Release 700) ERROR ***

ERROR: Connect to database failed

DETAILS: DbSlConnect failed with return code 99

SQL-ERROR -10709 (check DB manual for explanation)

E:\USR\SAP\J2E\SYS\EXE\UC\NTI386>

Seems that it can't connect to my SAPDB database? Any ideas how I get the around this?

Thanks again

Andy