Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Gateways - rdisp/max_gateways

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello RFC-guys,

i have a question regarding the SAP gateways.

Today we have faced an situation where we were unable to open RFC connections to a specific application server.

We recieved an error wich says that the max number of sap gateways was reached.

The target system has the following entries in the syslog:

=> Maximum number of 100 connectable SAP gateways reached

The gatway trace file shows the following:

Wed Feb 27 13:55:48 2008

***LOG Q14=> GwIConnectHandle, max gateways (100) [gwxxrd.c 8397]

• LOCATION SAP-Gateway on host hostname / sapgw11

• ERROR max no of gateways exceeded (100)

• TIME Wed Feb 27 13:55:48 2008

• RELEASE 700

• COMPONENT SAP-Gateway

• VERSION 2

• RC 631

• MODULE gwxxrd.c

• LINE 8398

• COUNTER 148743

After a while the RFC connection worked again.. the syslog message was pointing to the parameter "rdisp/max_gateways". rdisp/max_gateways is set to 100 in our system.

The sapnote #978078 is not valid for me, because i have a higher patchleve of kernel 7.00

I want to know the following 2 things:

• How can i monitor the gateway to gateway connections (is this possible with SMGW too?)

• Have you seen this problem in your systems too and how did you solved it?

Points will be rewarded..

Thanks and Regards

Stefan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Hello,

we had the same problem, and (following from an OSS-Call) by gradually increasing the value of

rdisp/max_gateways from 100 to 500 as well as setting

gw/so_keepalive = 1 in all dialog instance profiles and setting

gw/local_addr = <local ipadr> in all dialog instance profiles

we could decrease the amount of SM21-message Q14 from about 180 messages in 6 weeks to 1 message in 2 weeks.

Kind regards

Heinz

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

You might want to take a look at note 1142941 as well if you're using SNC. This is what's been killing me ever since I updated my kernel to 146.

Regards,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Any luck with setting gw_disconnect to 0? Or are you going for the 156 kernel?

We are seeing this in multiple 7.00/138 systems.

Regards,

Ken

Former Member
0 Kudos

Actually at 138 --- hate to say this but your kernel is at an unstable level.

Take a look at OSS NOTE 1132350 -- must be at 150+ level

We got past this with the profile parm workaround BUT are in the process of downloading kernel disp+work which is currently at 157.

We did receive confirmation from SAP safegarding to go forward with Kernel as we are only 5 weeks away from go-live and to introduce a new kernel level at this point has a risk attached and additional testing.

Regards

Doreen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sweeeet! Can't ask for better than that. Out of the frying pan...

Thanks for the heads-up, Doreen.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Stefan

When you are in SMGW, select GOTO->Logged On Clients - this menu will show you all the connections to all systems. The entry screen to SMGW shows connections from the server that you are on to other servers and itself.

Hope that helps somewhat. It is hard to believe that you have more than 100 concurrent connections in your gateway unless you configured something to be very high for connections to external systems. I would check your logged on clients and see if there are a number of replications.

I would assume that you need to update the parameter CPIC_MAX_CONV with this error (should have shown-up when you did the system check for the installation) to be larger than 100 - I would set this to 1k or higher on PI systems or other high communication environments.

This is not an SAP Parameter - but an OS Parameter - check OSS Note: 314530

If this solves your issue, please set this thread to answered.

Edited by: David Milliken on Mar 5, 2008 11:49 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

This has now happened to us 3 times as well since we upgraded to BI 7.0.

I agree that in SMGW looking at any of the settings I do not find more than 100 concurrent sessions.

Is this a bug in 7.00? Is there a new requirement to increase the parameter rdisp/max_gateways. I relooked at the BI parameterization note and no updates have happened to include this parameter as something that needs to be increased.

I originally put in an OSS message but received no helpful information from them. All we've learned is that bouncing the gateway gets rid of the error once it starts happening.

Is there any danger in increasing rdisp/max_gateways? We're also above the kernel level mentioned in the note above which speaks to this issue.

Please advise

Valerie

Former Member
0 Kudos

It could also be an issue with oracle / database parameters.

Their is an oracle parameter which sets the mas number of connections to the database.

If you have upgraded to 10g as well, the parameters are different.

You might want to check your settings using note 830576

Regards

James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Which specific Oracle parameter are you referring to since there are several "connection" related ones in the note. Regardless we are reviewing all of them.

My bigger question is really if the errors are pointing to rdisp/max_gateways in SM21 why is there nowhere in SMGW where I can see anything going over 100. How can one monitor if you're getting close to 100 if you can't see anything going over 100.

Also it doesn't allow you to know what is a good number to raise the parameter to, so there is no guarantee that this won't continue to need to be increased because of some bug.

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have hit the exact same issue as Valerie describes in our QA-BI 7.0 environment.

Noticed that this thread is about a month old now --- has anyone determined the true root cause?

Have analyzed all SMGW options and don't see anything more than 4 connections.

Bouncing is not acceptable --- we need to discover root cause as we are a few weeks away from go-live and cannot bounce the GW on a regular basis.

Have searched everywhere for more information on this.....

Thank you -

Doreen

Former Member
0 Kudos

I neglected to mention we are running MS SQL Server 2005 DB

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Believe we just found our answer NOTE 1157026

There is also a workaround documented in the note

The error is corrected with the following patch levels:

7.00: 156

7.01: Not yet available

7.10: Not yet available

7.11: Not yet available

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Stefan,

Yes SMGW can be used for monitoring the gateways. It gives infor about internal as well external gateway connections. never ever have I faced this issue. But may be you can either increase the value of rdisp/max_gateways or decrease the value of gw/close_routes .

Regards.

Ruchit.

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

how can i identify the gateway to gateway connections from others in SMGW?

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Stefan,

I am not very clear as to what you are looking for but if I understand clearly you want to see remote gateway connections. In that case in SMGW please choose from menu bar GOTO-->Remote Gateways.

Regards.

Ruchit.

stefan_koehler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

>> In that case in SMGW please choose from menu bar GOTO-->Remote Gateways.

I have done this, but i have not seen 100 concurrent connections... so i can not understand the error that we have got.

Regards

Stefan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Stefan,

I got your point but SMGW will show only active connections and not inactive ones. But the issue you are facing is a net result of both of these. Unfortunately at this point of time I don't know a more comprehensive transaction for this purpose.

Regards.

Ruchit.