0 Kudos

How to find WebAs Version ...in our system

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Hmm, you don't know what you are running ?

I hope you know your name !

Try Menu --> System --> Status

and click on the magnifying glass icon in "SAP System data" box.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have the same question (a bit extended)

How can I know the version of the SAP Web AS running on a system? Through Menu --> System --> Status I can see the R/3 version, but not the WAS version (6.20 or 6.40)

The problem is that I do not have access to the visual admin either.

Is there a way to install the Visual admin on my computer? I do have ftp access to the application server

Other question: I cannot find the way to install the Web Services functionality like transactions WSCONFIG, WSWF .... These transactions do not exist on "my" system and I believe there is a patch to install, but cannot find the name. Any help on this?

R/3 version is 4.7

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Miguel,

>How can I know the version of the SAP Web AS running on a system? Through Menu --> >System --> Status I can see the R/3 version, but not the WAS version (6.20 or 6.40)

With System --> Status, you can see the WAS abap version (6.20 for R/3 4.7).

It's only the kernel which can be 6.40 on R/3 4.7.

But you cannot see the WAS java , if you have one installed with R/3 4.7.

>Other question: I cannot find the way to install the Web Services functionality like >transactions WSCONFIG, WSWF .... These transactions do not exist on "my" system and I >believe there is a patch to install, but cannot find the name. Any help on this?

>R/3 version is 4.7

WSCONFIG and WSADMIN don't exist in WAS 6.20 and it is not possible to install them (except with an upgrade from R/3 to ECC...).

BUT it is possible to use a basic web service functionality with R/3 4.7.

We use it on our production R/3 4.7 system to call 10 000 function modules per day as a web service.

The URL is something like :

http://myR3host/sap/bc/soap/rfc/?services=MY_FUCTIONMODULE&sap-client=xxxx

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Christian (again) for another (always useful) answer

So there is no way to install the SAP WAS 6.40 on a machine running R/3 4.7. I thought they were some kind of independent.

Best regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

>So there is no way to install the SAP WAS 6.40 on a machine running R/3 4.7. I thought they >were some kind of independent

That's what the SAP marketing suits wanted the customers to belive. We were quite disapointed to discover that WAS 6.20 is completely embedded in R/3 4.7.

That's the same for the extension sets : we were shocked to discover that updating from extension set 1.0 to extension set 2.0 was an R/3 upgrade using the monstruous R3UP process...

You just can run WAS 6.40 kernel executables on R/3 4.7 WAS 6.20.

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again Christian,

I have just checked with one of my previous customers, and they are running SAP WAS 6.4 over R/3 4.6C. I remember that they used to have WAS 6.20 but migrated some time ago.

Of course, they outsourced the maintenance so they cannot answer me about how they made it and will not give me the contact of their support guys either, so I will not know how they made it

When you say "You just can run WAS 6.40 kernel executables on R/3 4.7 WAS 6.20", what do you mean by that? What I am trying to do is to consume some web services, and would like to do it through the Enterprise Services coming with the 6.40 I believe.

Another probably stupid question: How do I know if the WAS is installed on an ABAP or J2EE stack, or both? I believe the J2EE stack can only be installed on 6.40. Is that correct?

I really appreciate all your help here

Edited by: Miguel Guardo on Mar 10, 2008 4:55 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again Miguel,

>they are running SAP WAS 6.4 over R/3 4.6C. I remember that they used to have WAS >6.20 but migrated some time ago.

To my knowledge, this is not possible. R/3 4.6 was the last release without a separate release for the basis part (WAS). I think people run R/3 4.6C with a 4.6D kernel.

>When you say "You just can run WAS 6.40 kernel executables on R/3 4.7 WAS 6.20", >what do you mean by that? What I am trying to do is to consume some web services, >and would like to do it through the Enterprise Services coming with the 6.40 I believe

The recommended kernel for R/3 4.7 is no more WAS 6.20 kernel executables but WAS 6.40 kernel executables.

Don't make the confusion between the WAS abap release (abap programs in the database) and the WAS kernel (executables files in a file system seen at the OS level; disp+work.exe for example on Windows).

If you want to consume web services (be the client side) from R/3 4.7 this is nearly impossible directly and absolutely not standard. It is possible using a connector translating RFC calls into web services calls. We did develop such a connector using .NET and the SAP .NET connector.

If you want to publish web services (be the server side) from R/3 4.7, then this is definitevely possibleeven if a little "crude" : no interface, no individual URL and activation, etc...

There was a WAS 6.20 J2EE server but it was seldom installed and used because there were no delivered applications.

You'll have to look at the OS level to see if the J2EE server is installed.

Regards,

Olivier

PS : My first name is Olivier, my last name is Chretien

Former Member
0 Kudos

Salut Olivier,

my appologies for the confusion with your name. I have spent way too many hours reading posts that I do not know what I read anymore ...

The more documentation I read, the more confused I get, but I will try to summarize my conclusions, to check with you (any other guest is of course welcomed) if I am gettting it right.

R/3 4.6C runs on Basis 4.6C.

R/3 Enterprise 4.7 runs on WebAS 6.20.

SAP ERP 2004 runs on NetWeaver 2004 (WebAS 6.40).

SAP ERP 6.0 (former known as mySAP 2005) runs on NetWeaver 7.0 (former known as NetWeaver 2004s).

You can have 4.7 running on a 6.40 kernel (or at least the installation status will say so, even if you are only using the 6.40 functions over the 6.20 kernel). That does not mean that you have the WebAS 6.40 running

You can run a 6.20 WebAS ABAP stack together with a 6.40 WebAS J2EE stack ??

How do you know the WebAS J2EE stack version ??

PD: My most sincere appologies again for the naming confusion. I am even more embarrased as I have been working with at least 5 Olivier at the time I worked in France and Belgium

And thanks again

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Miguel,

R/3 4.6C runs on Basis 4.6C with Kernel 4.6C or Kernel 4.6D

R/3 Enterprise 4.7 runs on WebAS 6.20 with Kernel 6.20 or Kernel 6.40

SAP ERP 2004 runs on NetWeaver 2004 (WebAS 6.40) with Kernel 6.40

SAP ERP 6.0 (former known as mySAP 2005) runs on NetWeaver 7.0 (former known as NetWeaver 2004s) with Kernel 7.0.

I think you make a confusion between the basis release (WAS or Netweaver) and the Kernel release which are usually the same but may be different because of ascending compatibility.

For example, Kernel 6.20 is no more maintained, so R/3 4.7 customers are advised to use Kernel 6.40 which is maintained.

>You can run a 6.20 WebAS ABAP stack together with a 6.40 WebAS J2EE stack ??

I don't think so. But I'm not completely sure because we have never installed the J2EE stack for our WAS abap 6.20 (R/3 4.7).

To know the J2EE stack version, you have to connect to the URL :

http://myHost.myDomain:J2EEport/sap/monitoring/SystemInfo

No problem for the first-last name confusion !

Regards,

Olivier

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Olivier,

I think we are finally getting to the end of this topic

One more question though:

I imagine that ABAP and J2EE use different ports. Looking at my configuration (RZ10), I see that the ABAP port is 8010. That makes me thinkg that my system does not have a J2EE java instance installed. (I tried your link with the same port and could not find the page.

How would be the best way to guarantee that there is in fact no J2EE stack installed?

And if it were, how can I differentiate the ports for both stacks?

Hoping that this will be the last quesion on this topic, THANK YOU very much Olivier, you have been very responsive. I feel bad I cannot reward you with lots of points as I did not open this post.

Best regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Miguel,

If your system uses SAP defaults for ports, 8010 for for HTTP ABAP means that your Sysnr is 10. If you have a J2EE stack, the standard J2EE port would then be 51000 (5<sysnr>00).

>How would be the best way to guarantee that there is in fact no J2EE stack installed?

Ask your Basis Team !

You can also have a look in the abap profile parameters (RZ10). If you find this parameter

rdisp/j2ee_start = 1

You have 99% chances to have the J2EE stack installed.

You are welcome. Don't bother for points, I don't care about points !

Regards,

Olivier