cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie: Installing Multiple MaxDB databases on single host

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

I would like to install multiple MaxDB databases (Development and QA) on the same host.

I would like to have these as completely seperate databases so that I can upgrade/patch one database instance without effecting any of the other MaxDB on the system.

I have just installed an SAP/MaxDB instance on one of the new servers and I have noticed that the independent Program path and the independent Data Path are set to e:\sapdb\programs and e:\sapdb\data respectively.

The only choice I had during the install was the drive letter.

If I install another instance will that be seperate instances or are there additional steps I need to undertake to achieve my goal??

Thanks

Doug

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Doug,

You could run the two database instances on one server, if you have enough OS resources on the database server: memory, CPU …

And the database could be the different versions, the database software located in the independent program path is downward compatible, the programs and libraries from the IndepProgPath used by all database instances and applications, in the independent Program path you have the latest installed version of the database software => you should NOT worry about that.

Please review the information at MAXDB library

http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_6/default.htm

-> Installation -> Installation Manual -> Details

< -> Directories >

Thank you and best regards, Natalia Khlopina

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We had problems with installtion Solution Manager 7.1 SR1 (MaxDB 7.8) on a system where already existed a SAP with SAP R/3 4.7 with MaxDB 7.7.

We got following error:

FJS-00003 TypeError: inst_name has no properties (in script NW_Onehost|ind|ind|ind|ind, line 35660: ???)

and

ERROR      2013-01-16 10:29:13.414 [sixxcstepexecute.cpp:937]

FCO-00011  The step sdb_create_volumes_fs with step key |NW_Onehost|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|NW_Onehost_System|ind|ind|ind|ind|onehost|0|NW_CreateDBandLoad|ind|ind|ind|ind|createdbandload|0|NW_CreateDB|ind|ind|ind|ind|createdb|0|NW_ADA_DB|ind|ind|ind|ind|6|0|SdbPreInstanceDialogs|ind|ind|ind|ind|4|0|SdbInstanceDialogs|ind|ind|ind|ind|1|0|SDB_INSTANCE_CREATE|ind|ind|ind|ind|0|0|sdb_create_volumes_fs was executed with status ERROR ( Last error reported by the step: TypeError: inst_name has no properties (in script NW_Onehost|ind|ind|ind|ind, line 35660: ???)).

We opened a message at SAP and got follwing answer:

Edit file control.xml (located in installation directory)

replace

if (inst_name.toUpperCase() == dbname.toUpperCase()) {...

with

if (inst_name != undefined && inst_name.toUpperCase() == dbname.toUpperCase()) { ...

Restart sapinst and continue at point it stopped.

This worked.

Hope that helps anybody.

Regards

Julia

former_member229109
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Julia,

-> I recommend to open the new thread with your information.

-> Case related to MaxDB 7.8 installation.

As of MaxDB 7.8 or higher) you will have an isolated installation with PrivateDataPath and Global program path ..

For documentation about the MaxDB software directories, see MAXDB 7.8 library or at:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nwce72/helpdata/en/44/c052555bb24612e10000000a11466f/frameset.htm

-> I recommend you NOT change the control.xml file to avoid further problems. The case should be checked but SAP support first. After the reason of the issue found & the analysis done, the MAXDB dev support could recommend the modification of control.xml installation file, often the SAP note created for this case as well.

And SAP solutions delivered to SAP customers via SAP notes, SAP messages, SAP patches.

What is your SAP message?

Regards, Natalia Khlopina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Natalia,

I didn't want to open a new thread, because this was one of the threads I found when I was looking for a solution for my problem.

We changed control.xml after consulting SAP support. But we're facing now another problem: JDK/JVM seem to be too old and have to be updated.

We decided now to wait with installation of solman until old SAP R/3 4.7 will have new release and new database.

Regards,

Julia