cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Validations

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Folks,

In Datamanger using automatic validations : How do you create a validation for :.. If a field is modified then ... check if 'status' = true?

Is there a document available that has practical use cases of validations with examples ?

-Vinay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Vinay,

To create this type of validation u have to make two fields in console "created on" and "Changed on".Then in Console u write a validation as "IF(Created on = Changed On,False.True)".

This will check if the record is modified or not.Include this in your workflow and made that automatic.It will check automatically every time if record is changed or not.

Hope this may help you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Ankit,

Out of over 30 fields - there are five fields which, when modified - a boolean field needs tobe switched from false to true. Is using created on/changed on.. the optimum approach?

These 5 fields will be changed at different points in time.

-Vinay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

As I have already mentioned above, you can use a time stamp field which tracks those 5 fields that you have mentioned.

If any modifications are made to any of those 5 fields then the time stamp will get updated time.

In validations, you can then compare the time stamp value and the systime time. Keep the difference between the two time as 1 second. And also use this validation in a Workflow which is getting automatically launched.

Hence as soon as those fields get updated, it will autoomatically catch the Workflow.

Hope it helps now ...

• Please reward points if found useful

Thanks and Regards

Nitin Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Nitin - the problem is solved with one hitch !!

I have selected the 5 fields which I wanted to track... but when I create a brand new record - the timestamp doesn't update the time stamp. It only does it for the 2nd field onwards.. how do I get the timestamp field to update the very first time the record is created ?

-Vinay

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

The Time stamp is only meant to track when there is any updation on any field.It cannot track the creation of a record.

For tracking the creation of a record, you will have to use a Create stamp. But the Create Stamp will not be updated on any further changes on the record.

Hope it helps..

Thanks and Regards

Nitin Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Got it.. thanks a ton !! your replies have been accurate and extremely helpful.

-Vinay

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am using the below expression in the syndicator .. doesn't seem to work !!

changed date=updated date

Any thoughts ?

For some reason - this expression is not working in the validation expression too !!.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

If I am correct,

Changed Date is your time stamp.

But what is " Updated date" in your expression.

Please explain in detail about your problem. Hopefully then we will be able to help you out.

Thanks and Regards

Nitin Jain

Former Member
0 Kudos

Not clear ?..Ok.. let me elaborate.

I've got two fields :

1) "Product # TimeStamp" - timestamp field used to record changes from Product # field

2) "Updated On" - timestamp field - used to record changes for all fields

In syndicator I wan to use an expression to say syndicate records when :

Product # TimeStamp=Updated On .

I know this is wrong 'cause its not working. Can you compare two time stamps like this ?

-Vinay

Edited by: Vinay on Mar 5, 2008 5:11 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

"In syndicator I wan to use an expression to say syndicate records when :

Product # TimeStamp=Updated On ."

- I think you are taking about setting some search criteria. But According to me , you cannot compare 2 time stamps like that.

I fear that you will have to use some other option according to your requirement.

Hope it helps

Thanks and Regards

Nitin jain

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

If I understood ur question right then u need to have a validation which will execute automatically if the record is changed. There is a field in validations tab named "Automatic execution". If u set it error or warning it will behave in the same way u want it to.

I hope this is what u r looking for.

Regards,

Dheeraj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinay,

I have myself worked on this kind of a scenario. You can use a time stamp to track that attribute whether it is modified and then compare that time stamp value with the system time in a Validation.

Then you can use that Validation in a Workflow to make it as an automatic checking.

Hope this helps.

*Please reward points if found useful

Thanks and Regards

Nitin Jain