Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP on MSCS and SAPLICENSE... and more.

ganimede_dignan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi forum,

I try to use use MSCS as test in a system copy procedure to study SAP on MSCS.

Our test cluster is maded of only two physical nodes (node1 and node1) plus ora virtual server and sap vlirtual server

I've some questions...

1 - In a MSCS only rdbms and dbistance can be "clustered" so for SAPLICENSE: do I request a new saplicense for each MSCD node ? ... due because on each node I've two different HW-Key.

2 - In a MSCS is not possible to build a "clusered" central istance so we need to install a central install on node1 and a dialog istance on node2... is it true ? ... or is possible to install a central istance as sap virtual server ?

3 - If we install central istance on node1 and dialog istance on node2... can I configurare dialog istance as teh same of central istance (same number and type of wp, buffer, ecc.) ? ... so when central istance node1 fails node2 with dialog istance that works as really substitute of node1

4 - In Cluster Administrator I see a new type of resource "SAP resource" ... does it works only as "sapstart" command ?

Thank you for you help.

Regards.

Ganimede Dignan.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

may be this document will help you

[CONTENT DELETED 2 APRIL 2012]

2. see link above

3. why not, if you have enough hardware capacity

4. actually yes, it is done to separate the control over SAP service and SAP instance

ganimede_dignan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

>may be this document will help you

>

>https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/e0b8cd93-f1e9-2910-c186-86bfff3d...

>

>2. see link above

>3. why not, if you have enough hardware capacity

>4. actually yes, it is done to separate the control over SAP service and SAP instance

Thank you... it's a relly nice docu... but, could you confirm that on a new installation of NW04s based system CI is no more a failover component... and can be only installed only as standar CI on a MSCS physical node ?

I see a just upgraded cluster where CI is failover component... is it really necessary to migrate to non-failover component ?

I'm a SAP/MSCS newbie ... but I think that is nicer to have CI as failover component.

Regards.

Ganimede Dignan.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

1 : Yes, you need to install the license twice : one for each node. If you don't, in case of cluster fail over, you would have no license any more...

Regards,

Olivier

ganimede_dignan
Contributor
0 Kudos

NW04s of course.

In old documentation I read that installation flow is to installa e db istance + central istance and then convert to a clustered db+ci instance. As example on 46C docu:

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/7942/aaaasu4.gif

On NW04s docu I read that CI can't be clusterd... so it can runs only on one node

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/4623/ugows1.gif

Is really true that is not possibile to configure a clustered (as db istance) ci ?

Regards.

Ganimede Dignan.

Edited by: Ganimede Dignan on Feb 26, 2008 11:12 PM