cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conversion data in XI/PI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello guys, I'm with a conceptual question.

Conversion data should be held in XI?

For example,

In a Third Party System I have a Field "ID_Number" with a value of "0001" For Client "John Smith"

and in SAP SD there is a Field "Client_number" with the value "7001" for the same Client "John Smith"

For this scenario there should be a table that relates the two IDs for the same client. With the following structure:

Client_Name: John Smith

SAP_ID: 7001

ThirdParty_ID: 0001

Now my question is, where should this table be held? In SAP SD the third party System, or in XI? This kind of conversions should be made in XI? What is the normal thing to do in these cases?

Thanks and Regards,

Felipe

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

rodrigoalejandro_pertierr
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi

You can do it through Fix Values and value mapping.You can define source and Target values in Fixvalues.Suppose u r source value is A, u have define the target value is 1.If in u r source that field has contain the Value as A, the target field populated with 1.

You can create the value mapping from Integration Dircetory by specifying the Agenices and Schema.Agencies are reffered by u r Business systems and schema will refered by the name which u r giving to u r valuemapping.You can creae the valuemapping groups too.

After defining and acivating the valuemapping in ID you can refer the same in mappings by using the function Valuemapping.

see it

/people/community.user/blog/2007/01/08/valuemapping-using-the-graphical-mapping-tool

/people/sreekanth.babu2/blog/2005/02/23/value-mapping-replication

/people/sukumar.natarajan/blog/2006/10/23/accessing-value-mapping-defined-in-directory-using-java-functions

/people/sreekanth.babu2/blog/2005/01/05/design-time-value-mappings-in-xslt

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/13/ba20dd7beb14438bc7b04b5b6ca300/frameset.htm

Hope it Helps

Edited by: Rodrigo Pertierra on Feb 26, 2008 1:17 PM

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Friends,

Did you noticed all the four posts at the same time.

Regards

Agasthuri Doss

rodrigoalejandro_pertierr
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

you are right.

that because we leave what we are doing to help how needs 😛

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Interesting question and something that gets me into endless debates during every rollout I work in.

Who does what? what should the scope of a Middleware , what should the scope of SAP should be. I grapple with this question everyday when I use XI and I wish I had a straight answer but the answer is no.

I belong to the school of thought that believes if something can be done on the application layer , do it there. So this would mean doing the lookup etc on the the application layer rather than the middle ware. But again, the question comes up is - Would the application be able to make it generic. Is it scalable to do it on the application , you dont want to go changing coding on R3 / Application everytime another interface rolls out , everytime a new customer interface is built and so on.

Would it not make sense to then build it in the middleware. Well again Yes and No. Once Xi / middleware starts implementing the lookup, the request would be to do data cleansing and then data filtering , data staging and so on and then the vicious loop of complicating and using your middleware to do what it is not meant to do in the first place will kick in.

Consider me a secptic, but I belong to the school that atleast in XI , belive that R3 is still God and if R3 has capabilities to do something I would rather let R3 do it than XI.

I also agree with the school of thought that strongly pushes for the middleware to become the master routing medium, but the question that comes up everytime we try to do this is How can XI accomplish this? You cannot move the entire Ale Distribution Model of SAP to XI , no matter how hard you try and want to.

The answer lies in the fact that there is no easy way out and the solution is always to do it case by case but have a high level stratergy on having various use cases defined on who does what in different cases.

With this I rest the case and let the flood gates open for more interesting opinions.

Regards

Bhavesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello guys,

First of all I want to thank Rodrigo, Agasthuri, Swarup, and Raj for your quick and very usefull responses. It is very nice to know that we can help each other in such a short notice.

Now regarding the issue of this thread. I concur with Bhavesh. In my case I don´t see the need of creating value mappings or lookups to a data held in a DB in the destination system of the message.

In my case, why not do the data search once the message arrives to its destiny if is in the same system? If I do the lookup from the middleware that represents another message traveling to the destination application back to XI and then back to the destination.

Thanks again, point will be rewarded, and please this is very intersting topic to discuss, so please fill free to write your thougths.

Felipe

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Felipe,

I'm with Bhavesh. In our projects it always in the end occurred that it paid off to hold data on the main SAP instance. In my opinion midleware should be more for structure, format and technical handling. I'm also not keen on value mapping (time consuming to update, each value as separate object)and lookups (monitoring and error handling).

Best regards,

Wojciech

agasthuri_doss
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Assume the Data is send from Third party to SAP SD.

ThirdParty_ID: 0001 to SAP_ID: 7001

You can Handle it in SAP XI thru Value mapping. value Mapping is Advicable for less number of Convertions Eg - 100 t0 200.

If you have assume 1000 + Conservations Use Look up. If the Conservation can be done in Source side is very good.

Regards

Agasthuri Doss

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Felipe,

Leave the third party system. You can maintain Valuemapping in XI, if not you can maintain table in R/3 so that while populating you can do RFClookup.

raj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

You could capture these values in mapping lookup tables.

Either you could maintain it in the table in SAP XI or with Fixed mapping you could maintain it only for particular interface.

XI has that kind of facilities so no need to maintain it in either SAP or any third party systems

XI have provided the concept of FixValues and ValueMapping.

In Value Mapping you could maintain these values in mapping table, but in case if you don't wish to maintain it in mapping tables you could go for FixValus also

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/00ee347e-aabb-2a10-b298-d15a1ebf...

Refer this link

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/cf/406642ea59c753e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htmMapping Lookups a RFC API

XI 3.0 New Mapping Features

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/8a57d190-0201-0010-9e87-d8f327e1...

Thanks

Swarup

Edited by: Swarup Sawant on Feb 26, 2008 5:15 PM