cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single SLD Or Multiple SLD's????

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If we maintained multiple sld's means we will have each sld on each server like DEV sld and QTY sld and PRD sld .

In similar way

If we maintained single sld for all the DEV QTY PRD means where this SLD resides, will it be on DEV server or QTY server or PRD server????

Regards

Suman

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

aashish_sinha
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Today, system landscapes consist of multiple distributed software components with different platform

dependencies, different interfaces, and different requirements regarding installation and change

management. An overall concept is required that facilitates the implementation, upgrade, and maintenance

of even the most complex system landscapes. This is where SAP System Landscape Directory (SLD)

comes into play. SLD acts as a central information provider where comprehensive information about all the

installable and installed elements of your system landscape is stored.

SLD is the central information provider for the whole system landscape. Generally, SLD is deployed after the installation of each SAP Web Application Server Java 6.30 or higher. Nevertheless, to bring the SLD server into operation, it has to be configured and activated.

For some large system landscapes that are distributed over different geographic locations, a single SLD

server might slow down the performance of involved application systems. In this case, a distributed SLD

server installation can be taken into account.

In order to ensure consistent data of the distributed SLD servers, the SLD bridges of each location have to

be configured to deliver system data to all distributed SLD servers.In

addition, if any data has been entered manually, this data has to be entered in the Web-based UI for all SLD servers, too.

Note that the distributed SLD servers can cause higher administration expense with regard to consistent

data. Therefore, we recommend that you consider to use a single SLD server first.

In certain cases, you need to have a dedicated SLD for a particular group of systems (production landscape,for example) while all systems including the particular group should be kept in another SLD.

SAP Exchange Infrastructure (SAP XI) uses SLD for common landscape information. SAP XI 2.0 contains a

previous version of SLD (6.20). For SAP XI 2.0 users, there are three alternatives:

- As long as you are using SLD only for SAP XI, there is no need to upgrade.

- You can use two independent SLD servers in parallel, one SLD 6.20 for SAP XI 2.0 and one SLD 6.40

for all other purposes. The drawback is that you have to administrate two SLD servers to keep their data

consistent.

- You can use SLD 6.40 for SAP XI 2.0. The prerequisite is that all involved ABAP-based systems

(Integration Server, clients, and business systems) must have patch level 24 (or higher) for SAP_BASIS

Hope this will help you.

Regards

Aashish Sinha

PS : reward points if helpful

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please reffer my previous post and reply me back

Regards

Suman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sumant,

You can maintain single SLD in DEV, Quality, PRD. If you had made any changes in DEV SLD then you can transport the DEV SLD to Quality and production.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

By maintaining the Master SLD can't we Avoid the Transporting of the SLD Objects????

Can we point the single SLD path to all the DEv QTY and PRD servers??? SO that no need of any Transporting the SLD

Regards

Suman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP also have preferred to maintrain the common master SLD.

That could avoid the intricasies with maintaining the seperate SLDs

Yes Could point single SLD path to all Dev, QUA and Prod landscape.

Please refer

/people/praveen.mayalur/blog/2007/05/31/configuration-of-cms-in-central-nwdi-sld-to-transport-xi-objects

/people/sandro.garofano2/blog/2006/12/08/sld-transport-target-creator

Thanks

Swarup

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Swarup,

I want one clear clarification like Do we need to use the SLD transport incase when we are maintaining the Single SLD???

Regards

Suman

nisarkhan_n
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Since it is an Single SLD there will be no SLD transport. But you have to maintain the tarnsport targets for the each Business system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Why i need to maintain transport targets

Regards

Suman

nisarkhan_n
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You need to maintain the transport targets for each BS because...

when you move an ID from the Development to Quality the BSname in the Development BS_FILE_DEV should be changes to BS_FILE_QUA when it gets moved to QA Box...

Tranoports targets specifiy whats hould be the appropraite BS Name for the system in devlopment when it is moved to QUA or PRD...

check the blog " how to handle SLD or SLD Tranports"

this is independent of single or multiple SLDs in your envinorment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

See my vision is ,

I have a BS for Web as ABAP for R/3 as BS_Suman for Developement server in SLD

I have developed all the scenarios witht this BS. BS is used in ID.

I will export all my IR and ID objects with as it is names to PRD.

No need to Export the BS From one SLD to another sld , why because iam having single sld pointing to both DEV and PRD

So i can access the sld from DEv and as well as PRD also

Why this BS name will change when it come to PRD ???

Regards

Suman

bhavesh_kantilal
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am not a fan of a single SLD shared across multiple landscapes esp Prod.

Reason : What happens if you want to upgrade DEV and QA , or you want to do some prof of concept. As the SLD is a important component and as it is used by Production you cannot do anything special.

Also, the literature quoted in one of the replies, is kind of out dated. SAP is now recommending multiple SLD approach as it definitely helps in cases like the one I pointed above.

Better be safe and demaracate Prod and Dev SLD's rather than burn yourself with a Majority Incident in production is a lesson i learnt the hard way

Regards

Bhavesh

nisarkhan_n
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes you are developing the objects on the BS_SUMAN which is an development box....when you move this interface to production then the r/3 should be of prodcution right????

so BS_SUMAN_PRD should be the R/3 bs name which will connect to the R/3 system of production....

If you development the scenario in the Development envinorment then when you move to productoin you are pointing to production systems...if your BS_SUMAN is pointing to prodcution system with same name it is fine..but it should be pointing to PRODUCTION....thats how it works...check the transports using SLD for more details you will have better idea about this.

R/3>XI->File system ( Development) | SLD

R/3->XI->File Syetem( Prodction)

this is indepentdent of the SLD you have to maitain the tranport tagrets which will change the corresponmding BS from Developmetn to various envinorment provided if you have maintained.

Edited by: Nisar Khan on Feb 27, 2008 11:09 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nisar,

What do you say abt Bhavesh Raply.

We have only DEV and PRD in our Landscape

So what shld i do , do i need to maintain single SLD or Multiple sld's

Regards

Suman

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI,

As per the above post, there are some situations where the Multiple SLD's will be really benificial as Bhavesh have pointed out.

But there are few scenarios where the single SLD is preferrable.

In case your Technical systems and Business systems are same in DEV and Production XI system. then That will be of no sense to go for seperate SLDs.

Suman, in your case its better option to go for the multiple SLDs.

and to have CMS transport from DEV to Prod.

Thanks

Swarup

nisarkhan_n
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Suman,

As bhavesh said multiple SLD have more advantages than single SLD....

Choose on these factors

1. How many systems you have in your landscape, do they have sepreate instance of installation

2. Number os interfacess?

lok this factors might not be ture for all but one of the customer landscape i was in they have installed the Dev,Quality,Sandbox on the same instacess and Prduction on sepreate.

roughly they have 2 SAP Systems and few Legacy..around 40 interfaces....we didn't had much thought on choosing single SLD.

in other casess we have aroung 5 SAP Systems and several Legacy...around 140 interfacess we had to choose muiltiple SLD....

If you ask me i would alwasy go for Multiple SLD, that keeps my envinorment good...we can also have Single SLD then it comes with the restriction of acess to other and you need to be more cautious....

let me know what's your landscape....

former_member214364
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

> If we maintained single sld for all the DEV QTY PRD means where this SLD resides, will it be on DEV server or QTY server or PRD server????

Hi Suman,

You can maintain single SLD in any one of these Environments(DEV, QTY or PRD).

Usecase: one SLD in DEV for DEV,QTY and separate SLD in PRD for PRD.

Cheers,

Jag

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

U can main tain single SLD that have to be done in DEV system and can be transported to QA dn PRD.

Or u can maintain different SLD fro DEV,QA,PRD.

Regards,

Phani

Reward points if helpful

nisarkhan_n
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is upto your chose to maintain the single SLD on which landscape...usually it would be in PRD....

this is the choise which you have to make while desiging...you can have the sepreate SLD and connect all the systems to there also.....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If i maintained single sld in PRD server means , while doing the scenarios in DEv server is there any performance issue or SLD performance down???

Regards

Suman

Former Member
0 Kudos

No issues. Single SLD helps us in terms of maintance and also easy to transport the object from one system to anothere system.

nisarkhan_n
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

While maintaining Sigle SLD on the PRD, only thing you have to maitain is the acess who all can have acess...apart from this there is no performance issues.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sarvesh,

>>Single SLD helps us in terms of maintance and also easy to transport the object

This means If we are maintaining the single SLD also do we need to Export the SLD From DEV to QTY and .....

Regards

Suman