cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why to use Lookup field or Boolean fields.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I need ur opinion.

Why to use Lookup field or Boolean fields.

Ex.

I have five subtable in repository all have atleast two fields and values will be either "YES/NO".

Now tell me one thing which approach is better.

option 1

Should I create one lookup table and create lookup fields to other referenced tables.

option2

Should I create boolean fields in table itself.

Do reply with logical reasons and advantages or dis-advantages.

Jasbir Battu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Jasbir,

I have five subtable in repository all have atleast two fields and values will be either "YES/NO".

lets take an example: You have Repository R1 with main table M1 and five subtables T1...T5 with 2 fields in each, 1 which is by default text (F1) and other say again text (F2) in all tables and so on.

Now you have atleast one display field per table and have values for it are: Yes/No or you have 2nd field as display field then whatever is value no matters, our concern is to compare with Boolean field.

Hope till now i am clear.

Option 1

Should I create one lookup table and create lookup fields to other referenced tables?

Ans: My answer is NO because if you are referencing 5 lookup tables in a single table then whats the use. Then this table also will have a DF and if you want yes and no in ouput then it must be from one of the 5 tables which have yes/no fields as DF.

If you want to see other 4 fields also they must be also DF.

This option will work if you want a composite field of 5 values in which one have yes/no.

Again no need to store 5 tables for a single boolean field.

Option2

Should I create boolean fields in table itself?

Ans: Yes. Adv: Less memory consumption, no complex structure of repository. No need to maintain a lookup for two values Yes/ No.

Let me know if you have any confusion.

BR,

Alok

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thank Alok.

Tell me one more thing.

If I have 14 fields as "Yes/No" in different Subtables as well as in main table then.

Suppose I have R1 repository and have M1 Main table , T1 Subtables , T2 Subtables, T3 ...T5.

M1 has two fields F1, F2 will be having values "Y/N"

Same in T1 ...F1,F2 will be having values "Y/N"

T2....same

T3...same

T4....T5. same

Now, should a create all the fields as Boolean fields or just create one lookup table and field which will be reference to other tables.

Which is better.

Do reply.

Former Member
0 Kudos

See overall in DM you will see 3 fields with values yes/no becoz you are using only one lookup table which have 5 fields of lookup type which does not make any sense untill and unless you want a composite field to see in main table record.

So use boolean field. if you still have confusion, please ask again.

Rewards with points if helpful.

BR,

Alok

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jasbir,

Please use the Boolean field instead of Lookup[Flat], because in import manager there is no difference between Lookup[Flat] and Boolean field.

My suggestion is if you have 10 fields like Yes/no indicator in your main table then you may be referring one lookup[Flat] table containing yes/no values. here while loading realationships between tables it may effect the performance.

so please use boolean field instead of lookup table.

Regards,

RDN Prasad.

Edited by: RDNPrasad on Mar 4, 2008 5:51 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jasbir,

I completely agree with Alok. If you have to have only Yes/No option for all the fields then there is no need to make ur repository that much complex. Just make the boolean fields.

Regards,

Dheeraj.