cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extracting from R/3 and loading into MDM without XI

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

To my knowledge, SAP R/3 can be used to generate XML's for a specified iDoc format. Considering this, can i conclude that data extraction from R3 for loading into MDM does not require XI in between? If yes, can the standard maps provided by SAP be used to import these XML's?

Regards,

Anoop Sahu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anoop,

By using MDMGX, u can extract XSD and XML files both.These XSDs can be used to make the import maps.and By using FTP u can generate the XML files in the ready folder of import server directly. From ready folder using the import map created earlier,u can import the data into MDM. U do not need any XI for that.

Regards,

Dheeraj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi...

If i am not wrong, MDMGX is used for downloading reference data only. For master data we have to use - MDM_CLNT_EXTR. And this transaction gives output in iDoc format, not XML.

So....how do we get master data in XML format without using XI?

Thanks & Regards,

Anoop Sahu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anoop

u are right.By using MDM_CLNT_EXTR we will get IDocs and the same has to be converted to xml using XI for which appropriate settings are to be made.MDMGX gives the xml file for check tables/refernce data which can be directly imported into MDM lookup tables using the Import manager.

hope it clarifies your query

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks....but my query remains unanswered.

Masters can be extracted from R/3 directly in XML format using some ALE configuration. Has anybody done this before? If yes, can the standard maps be used on the XML generated?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anoop,

I have not tried this(XML thr ALE settings)

But if ur Idoc structure & Repository structure is same then Yes u can do this without XI.

But many times (Even for standard scenarios) u do some Mapping in XI to convert ur IDOC structure to ur Repository structure.

Hope this is what u r expecting.

Thanks,

Maheshwari

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anoop,

I dont think standard maps will work in this case because the xml you get from xi contains Namespace, Message type etc as a field in it.

And the xml you will generate from R3 dont have those. so from my point of view it should not work.

Just you can create your custom maps and import data.

BR,

Alok

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alok...U brought in a good point....however, i have a different views here. Please comment.

MDM Import Manager/Server does not have to do anything with namespaces. As far as the structure of XML remains same i.e. the hierarchial structure remains same, the import map should work. Consider that i am dealing with standard R/3 fields and standard MDM repo. I dont need any configuration modification in the IDoc generated. Can i now use the XMl generated by ALE configuration???

Regards,

Anoop Sahu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Again Anoop, standard maps are saved with a specific source and destination name in Import Manager. So if you are sure the schemas of both files are same, one which is taken from XI and other which you will create from R3 directly then it might work but not sure.

For example if you save a map in IM with Sorce ABC and Destination is our by default main table Products. and now suppose you want this map should be opened on a source XYZ and product main table. IM dont allow us saying like source table is not as in saved map.

From my point of view it should not work but i can be wrong. You should also try as soon as possible.

Rewards if found helpful.

BR,

Alok

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Anoop,

it depends on the standard you're using. Business Partner an Product repository use a MDM specific message structure for import. You need XI in between to do the corresponding mapping. Customer, Vendor and Material use the IDoc-like XML format - meaning this should work if you store the IDoc via ALE directly in a XML format. But: XI contains some XSLT mappings for those repositories to improve the import performance. Furthermore, some segment (e.g. international address versions for Customer and Vendor) are filtered because they are not supported by the MDM repository. Anyways, you could give it a try.

BR Michael

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Anoop,

Yes, it is possible to extract data(material,vedor,customer) from R3 system in the form of IDOC using T code MDMGX .

But MDM understands only XML format files. This conversion of Idoc to Xml is done by a middleware. SAP suggests to use XI for this job. Suitable settings should be made to configure in XI for file to be placed in Ready folder .

Standard maps provided by SAP can be used for field mappings in Import manager.

Regards,

Pramod