Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Role naming conventions

Former Member
0 Kudos

hey gurus

does anyone have a template for role naming conventions .

I to input it for for documentation ASAP

13 REPLIES 13

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Parag,

There is no standard role namiing convention as such.

But depending on how big the scope of the Business is you could probably use:

1. constant value (for example P:- but remember not to use S here as it is used for standard SAP roles)

2. Which module is the role for:

M for MM roles

P for PP roles

V for SD roles

F for FI roles

K for controlling roles

S for BASIS roles

3. segregate roles at plant level. if you plant code is "I010" use that

4. You could use charecters to define submodules:

example for for accounts payable use AP Accounts receivable use AR

5. functions- two more charecters to define the function (example ADV for account document view)

6. Finally use atleast two numerical values (for example 01, 02, 03 etc) because you might want to create other roles under the same category in future.

Example role name:

P:FI010_ARADV01

Where P: is constant value, FI belongs to the module, I010 represents plant, AR represents sub module and ADV represents the function. then finally the numerals so that further roles can also be created in this category.

But please make sure the role text properly describes the role functions aptly.

Regards,

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes. I agree with Prashant,

Normally while security designing phase we have to finalize the naming convention.

SAP standard roles will come with starting letter "S", and it recommends to use "Z or Y" for customized roles.

even we can use other letters.

Ex : If the company/ client business is spread across the globe, we can design the security naming convention as mentioned below.

Role name : C9999BGGXX

-> "C" says the component:e.g. R – R/3, A – APO, B – BW

->"9999" says the role Number: From Roles Database

-> "B" says the Business Unit: e.g F – AFP, B – ABP, C - CORP.

->"GG" says the Country Code / Continent: e.g.US – USA, CA – Canada

-> "XX" says the Location Code: e.g. JX, KK, SH, etc.

Please let me know if you want more details.

Thanks,

Praveen

0 Kudos

I keep finding it strange that there seems to be an ambition to shrink rolenames until they become unreadable.

You've got 30 characters at your disposal, what's wrong in using them?

0 Kudos

I do admit and agree with you on that point Jurgen. Its just that over the couple of years i've been working on Security, i have got used doing more with the role description field than the role name.

ECC and 4.X versions of SAP are fine, but incredibly enough i currently work with 3.1I version systems too (the ones where there are nor roles only profiles :-).

Regards,

Prashant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Here are the standard naming conventions for the role.

Position

1 Role Type S - Single

C - Composite

M - Master

D - Derived

X - Special Purpose

2 Separator :

3-4 Pipeline R3 - R/3 Enterprise

BW - Business Warehouse

CR-CRM

SE - SEM

SC - SCM

EP - Enterprise Portal

SR - SRM

EC - ECC

5-6 Company name

7-8 Org function

9-10 Process

10-12 Geography(eg country IN for India)

etc

Regards

Rakesh

0 Kudos

Ha!, another twelve-character-fetishist What do we do with the other eightteen?

Oops, missed the "etc" at the end. My bad.

Edited by: Jurjen Heeck on Mar 7, 2008 6:15 PM

0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your consideration!!!

I know that a role name can have a maximum of 30 characters. But its not mandatory that you need to enter all the 30 character.

For your kind information there are diff roles like derrived and composite where in you may extend the role name with either company codes or plant number or anything of that kind.

What i tried to explain is the SAP recommended way of role naming convention.

If you have your own naming convention then please let me know.. i am good learner and transfer the same.

Regards

Rakesh

0 Kudos

> 5-6 Company name

You might want to consider making that 5-6-7-8 as company code ~ reporting entity ~ legal entity as this is typically a 4 character field which is used (field BUKRS).

Corporate companies sometimes have more than 99 legal entities; and even if not, they might have a naming convention within BUKRS...

Cheers,

Julius

0 Kudos

Hi Julius,

Agreed!!!

In that case the name convention may differ at company code(i.e 5-6-7) and rest of the characters may be adjusted accordingly.

Cheers

0 Kudos

HI Jurjen ,

what rakesh said 1-12 character naming convention is common for all roles, after that remaining 12-18 charcter role specific naming

so that by seeing the role name itself we can make out and need not see short or long description every time

D:ECxxMDMT00:PROCUREMENT_IN

D- for Derived

: Seperator

Ec-Ecc System

xx-company

MDM -module

t00-plant

as it isa Procurmemt role for india.

ok in role name we can write etc at end to fill all the 30 chars.

0 Kudos

As I said, I missed the "etc" after char 12. Still there are a lot of people who refuse to use all available 30 characters.

0 Kudos

> In that case the name convention may differ at company code(i.e 5-6-7) and rest of the characters may be adjusted accordingly.

I would use all 4 characters (5-6-7-8).

Note that Plants (field WERKS) is also a 4 character field, and I think there quite a few others as well which are org related...

I would also recommend using enough of the 30 characters to make it as clear as possible to the role owner to understand what the role contains. They might not all have the skills / time to look inside the AUTHS.

Cheers,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

In the role creation we need to follow the nameing conversion

why because to identification purpose like example

ex:- 1.ZHP_HR_PARENTROLE

2.ZHP_HR_CHILDROLE

3.ZHP_HR_COMPOSITEROLE

Z -- User definded

HP--- Company Name

PARENT/CHILD/COMPOSITEROLE --- Role Name