cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP XI installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have several landscapes in one of our client site like development, quality, sand box, training, release and proto type. We would like to build few interfaces using XI. However we need to have XI in each landscape to do so.

Since XI is mostly client dependent (with exceptions ofcourse), We would like to have Development, Prototype, Sand box and training as different clients in a single XI box. and have one each for quality and production.

For example:

clients in box 1: 010 - Prototype, 020 - Devt, 030 - sand box and 040 - training

clients in box 2: 010 - release landscape test client and 020 - production landscape testing

box 3: only one client for production

Obviously this would save a lot of cost in terms of hardware. The question is:

1. Is this feasible

2. What are the pros and cons of this approach

3. Any other alternatives to reduce cost.

4. Any examples of other sites using this approach

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

udo_martens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

you can configure only one client as integration server (TA sxmb_adm). The other clients (application system) would work like a "WAS" not like a XI.

To have a cheap solution it's better to use only two XI systems, Test/Quality/Development and Produktion. You have to configure the receiver/interface determination in IB Directory twice or triple for your involved systems.

I worked already with XI system with only two XI layers and three backend layers, no problems.

Regards, Udo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Udo,

Thanks for you reply. Combining Devt and testing is risky. This will not be acceptable to the client. I understand there are other clients using this approach. I am trying to get more information.

Regards

Srini

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

If you are going to install on a single instance as different clients what should be the SLD landscape. Could you please update this thread with your observations once you install the system ?

Thanks,

Kalyan Musunuri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok. So here is the plan. We are proposing to have Release DEV, training and sandbox in same environment. So that is 2 boxes down from original 7. They would share Integration server on one client and we will distinguish play objects and development objects with name spaces. SLD will be one each for devt, testing and production in line with SAP' recommendation.

At this time this is still a conceptual plan and I am not sure if we will face any major hurdles.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srini,

If you are looking to save some hardware costs instead of installing the sandbox / prototype / development as different clients in a single instance. You can install them on the single hardware box as different Instances of WASJAVAXI with different SID's. This will help you save some harware costs and will also separate the sandbox and prototype from the actual development system. SAP suggests this type of approach. I have worked with different R/3 instances(test and quality) on the same box. They are logically independant systems so you should not have any problems.

Thanks,

Kalyan Musunuri

OBT Global Inc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your inputs Kalyan.

This approach would be too much of load on the system resources. I spoke to another colleague today and they are using various clients in the same box and it worked well there. Seems to be promising.

Former Member
0 Kudos

On further investigation it seems possible. This is infact the approach used at another client site. Trying to get more information. Any other thoughts / ideas?