Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to restore a Db on another server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

MaxDb 7.6.00.37.

I need to copy my database from server A (Windows 2000) to Server B (Windows 2003).

So i've installed the same version of MaxDb on server B, copy the last full backup from server A to server B, create the database instance using the parameters found in the backup file (changed some path, i.e. for datavolume, log volume...), and then run a restore...

But after approx 500Mb of data restored, i get message -24998 and -7900, which says that the block size have changed bewteen backup and restore ! If a take a look on backup media properties, everything match bewteen server A and Server B.

Does anybody have an idea ?

TIA.

Frédéric DEMILLY.

Edited by: Frédéric DEMILLY on Feb 25, 2008 1:14 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Frédéric,

the blocking size of the backups are determined by the DATA_IO_BLOCK_COUNT

parameter (used to be the BACKUP_BLOCK_CNT parameter in earlier versions).

The value of this parameter dictates the blocking size for backups if no other value is specified in the backup media definition.

So I would recommend to check the value of this parameter (although you copied the parameters from the backup).

Also quite possible: the backup file could have been corrupted.

Does a recover_check work?

What if you copy the file back to server A and run a recover_check there?

KR Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Thanks for you reply.

I've checked both parameters on both server, same values (64).

I've also checked the backup file on serveur A, without any error, on serveur B i get the same error (-7900).

Since the file wasn't copied directly from server A but from a backup serveur (backup to disk locally on server A to minimise backup time, and copy to a backup serveur which make a tape backup), i try to copie the original file (which is ok) directly from server A to server B. If it work, then there is something wrong with my backup server..

Frédéric.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Problem solved !

I've copied the backup file directly from server A (and not from backup server), and i don't get the error message anymore.

So i've really a problem with my backup server, some kind of corruption occured during the copy. I've to investigate, but this is another story

Thank Lars for your help.

Frédéric.