cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIC with different upper and lower limit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

I have a scenario where I have a characteristic to be tested for trace element in a chemical.

But the upper and lower specification of this MIC is different for different chemicals (material numbers) . ie the specification depends on chemical (material) to be inspected.

So I am stuck with a combination a number of MICs with same trace element (say iron) to be tested for a number of chemicals.

How does QM handle this scenario ?

Rgds

JMG

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1st - Are you batch managed? if so you can create a batch class and add a general characteristic to it linked to a single MIC. Use this MIC in your inspection plans. Then in the batch class set the specs limits.

You can create a separate batch class for each group of materials. I.e. those with the same specs.

You can also modify the spec value in the classification view for each material that is different then the spec in the class.

You can also create plans which use the same MIC but in the plan you unlock it and set the spec. Then assign all the materials using that spec to the same plan.

This is all very simplied above. But under NO circumstances should it be necessary to create multiple MICS for the same test with all different specs!

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Craig,

Yes it is batch managed.

But I think the linking is only for Material specification ? Can it be used for inspection plans ?

The best way is t unlock it as you suggested .

Rgds

JMG

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The best way is not necessarily to unlock them. You may want to use the material spec. It depends on how many materials share the same set of characteristics and specs.

A single class, with it's spec's can be assigned to multiple materials. So if the same material is sold by the 50lb bag, 25KG pail, 100G sample, 2000lb super sack, bulk tractor tailer, railcar, etc. etc.. then all these different SKU's(i.e. material numbers) can be assigned to the same class. if the spec changes, you change the class spec only. Even if you maintain the spec in the class view in the material master, this still would filter down to all the plans for that material.

You can assign them all to the same plan and unlock the characteristic to set the spec. But if you change the characteristic and/or spec, you have to edit each and every plan using that characteristic or that spec.

Craig

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi,

Use dependent characterstics in inspection plan for that MIC.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

For your acenario, you can not use the same MIC for all the materials , as the spec. limits are different.

Hence you may have to crate different MIC's for different materials with different spec. limits.

Regards

YMREDDY