cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

XI in place of BDC programs for legacy data transfer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi friends,

can any body tell me if we can use XI for transferring legacy data to R/3 instead of BDC programs , if yes , any kind of drawbacks in doing so .

Rgds

shazia

Edited by: shazia seemin on Feb 24, 2008 2:22 PM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks i got the point

rgds

shazia

VijayKonam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

XI is not menat for initial bulk loads. LSMW or some thing else need to be used for that. XI is meant for only day to day transactions. If you are deciding to go with XI for bulk messages then you must keep your basis guys in loop and depending on the undelying database setting log files etc must be cleared ar regualr intervals like every hour or so. You must decide this by looking at the system config and other issues.

VJ

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

BDC is normally used to deal with huge amount of data and SAP doesn't recomment using XI for mass data migration or inplace of BDC.

If we go with XI then- As you know, XI can act as a Centralized integration platform, in future it will be very easy rather writing a BDC program

--capability of Webenablement will help you

--Integration Business Workflow (as you mentioned BPM)

--Features in XI are getting better

But initial investment, if you don't have XI environment will be high. And skill set required with their high demand will be high.

If you go with BDC program, it will be a point to point right. And now and in future probably if ESA architecture is the part of the business , then I think this approach may not be valid. Regd, cost/effort/skill set it will be good option as of now.

If XI is already in landscape, then it makes every sense to make the message go through XI for the following Major additional (apart from what you have stated) advantage:

As rgds performance, although there is an additional overhead in terms of message requiring to pass through XI, server capabilities to process the messages very fast would make it hardly noticiable / applicable.

In SAP, BDC programs are used to copy the screen sequences of a transaction and populate the data, instead of writing all kind of validations.

Instead of writing a BDC (extract) program to write a file, create the proxy for each one of these interfaces. I agree that it is little more work than the regular interface but when there is a middleware being used, why not make use of it.

Thanks

Swarup

Edited by: Swarup Sawant on Feb 24, 2008 6:08 PM