Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project coding mask

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

The scenario is as under...

Requirement is to have different coding mask for different levels of project. The project coding is as under

proj def = GT-0001

Top WBS = GT-0001

Level 1 WBS = W-1-0-197-065-00

Level 2 WBS = P-10197065-31012

Level 3 and so on = P-10197065-31325...etc

Standarad coding of SAP PS is not applicable because each level identifies a sub assemblies for which they have standard nomenclature structure and would not like to change the same .

User manually key in level number to define its hierarchy.

I need your advise to understand

Please note we can not change coding mask structure.

1) Whether having different cosing mask will show any effect in my settlement, scheduling, archiving ?

2) Anyother sugesstions ...advising the pros and cons of the above will be helpful.

In anticipation..

Thanks

Saikishore Ganga.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

No, it will have no impact in further processes such as archiving, settlement etc.

Another drawback I can see of your nomenclature is at the time of creating the project structure, the system will not be able to default the lower level WBS codes based on the already existing higher level WBS elements.

However, If this type of nomenclature is suitable for your business needs, I see no problem in using it.

Best regards

Martina Modolell

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

It will not have any impact on settlement and other things like archiving.

The advantage of this kind of nomenclature is obviously the specific requirement that you have.

One drawback will be the not so easy traceability of the project from WBS name. For example if you have a PO created for level 2 WBS, you can never make out from the account assignment of this WBS in PO about the project definition or top WBS.

Lets see what others say about it further.

Sourabh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I will answer based upon what I have understood from your question.

In "Define Special Characters for Projects", an "Edit" indicator is available which gives you the freedom of using coding as per your convenience.

I feel that this will not have any adverse effect on your settlement or any other things. Let us wait for other expert comments.

regards

Pratap.V