cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MDM Database Settings.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can anybody tell me the significance of DBMS settings that we access from SAP MDM Console.

1] What happens if I add an entry for a DBMS server.

2] What happens if I remove an entry of a DBMS server.

I already have gone through SAP MDM console guide.

Thanks & Regards,

Amol.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

Unlike the Repository Properties, which are specific to a particular MDM repository, several settings are relevant to a particular DBMS Server, and are the same for any MDM Server that accesses it and for all MDM repositories mounted on it. In general these settings allow you to configure parameters regarding the DBMS Server’s use of the file system.

You can use the DBMS Settings command to open the DBMS Settings dialog and change the settings for either: (1) any DBMS Server; (2) the DBMS Server associated with a particular MDM repository. The dialog contains a grid with the DBMS Server settings that enables you to specify default values for each setting.

The first time you connect via MDM to a DBMS, you will be prompted with the DBMS initialization dialog to enter the DBMS storage paths for the data and index files.

The directory paths that you supply must already exist before you click OK, or you will receive an error.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

In order to store data of the MDM server you need to have DBMS.

Whenever you create a new database and configure it to MDM then automatically MDM repository tables are created on the DBMS (SQL Server, Oracle, IBM DB2)

1] What happens if I add an entry for a DBMS server.

If you add an entry for the DBMS server then the connection between DBMS and MDM Server would be made and subsequently the repository data would be stored in DBMS.

2] What happens if I remove an entry of a DBMS server.

If you remove entry of DBMS server then the connection made with the MDM Server would be lost.

If you are talking about entries in DBMS settings

then you can add multiple DBMS servers in it and connect to them.

If you remove entries then the removed servers would not be available for connection with MDM Server.

Hope dis helps u

Regards Tejas........

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

The DBMS settings are required for MDM to store repository data and all repository information. It stores everything either in a SQL server or Oracle database.

That is the reason why, when you create a new repository, subsequent entries are created in the database. You can see the tables created in the DBMS, but even though you access it through sql queries, the retrieved data does not make any sense to us, unless we use MDM to view the data.

The significance being that, MDM needs to store data somewhere and that is the DBMS. Please let me know if you have any further questions or if you feel your question is unanswered.

Thanks,

Madhu

Edited by: Madhusudhan Honnappa on Feb 21, 2008 9:03 PM