cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Disaster Recovery with Oracle

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

We are in the process of making remote DR Site we have installed a SUN v490 server having SAP R3 Enterprise similar to our Primary site. Now we obviously want is to build a SAP server with oracle database with daily update of archives shifted from primary to DR and then easily convertable to production in case of disaster at primary.

Now I have planned these steps want to know your opinion.

1) installing SAP with default database having same name as Primary

2) applying oracle and SAP kernel patches.

3) then transferring database, control files etc from primary to DR and recover it completely.

4) I also want to check by opening database and check results by logging through SAPGUI.

5) after this i want to make this same database (obviously I have to retransfer database again ) in standby (dataguard) mode so that dataguard functionality could be used.

How can I perform 5th step becuase I have done steps 1, 2, 3 and 4 couple of times and sure and confident abt them. Are there other ideas? please share.

Also please tell me any SAP guidances while using DR servers in which database is in Standby mode, what things should be taken care while convering standby to production

Regards

Waqas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks

former_member204746
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

step 4: don't do this, as soon as you open the database, you will not be able to apply any redologs... and you will need to re-copy your database again.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are right Eric, but reason why I am taking this burden is to make sure my all setting and kernel updates and database transfers are fine and working well, its a one time activity during the establishment of DR I can afford it.

But I need inputs regarding point 5.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Can any body confirm me that is it a normal practice to have a SAP R3 Enterprise Server is installed on a server with Oracle in Standby mode (not open) and when Primary DB fails this database is made production by opening and using SAP application which has been already installed.

Regards

Waqas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Waqas

We had a standby db for 'logical' db corruptions, like user drops a table. In that case we stopped the primary db and recovered the standby as near as possible before the error. The standby db was made primary and the original SAP CI was connected to it.

We are using a failover cluster (HP Serviceguard) for hardware failures or site disasters. With the cluster, we have the filesystems synchronized to both locations, we have a virtual IP, where users connect to and we have an automatic failover if something goes wrong.

So personally, i don't consider your setup as 'normal practice'.

The risks you have:

- the configuration of the failover SAP system might outdate, changes on the primary are forgotten on the standby

- if you don't run in real production mode periodically on the failover side, you will almost certainly have interfaces to other systems only working to the primary side.

- you might loose filesystem data (what about job logs?)

Regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

what I have done for SAP business continuity that we have loccated a server at geographically remote location, I have installed SAP R3 there and also have changed SAP instance profile accroding to server and prodcution environment. Oracle database is in standy recovery mode and i am applying archives daily.

Now point to be noted that since database has been copied from Primary production site, licesnce is of Production site so in case of disaster when I open this standby database I have to change licnese immediately also I have to add temp data files also to make my DR site as production.

Now please guide me can I do better settings specially regarding changing licnese and adding temp files becuase it will increase my downtime in the event of Disaster.

Best Regards

Waqas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again

Just order a license for the failover server and install it in your system.

No further change will be needed, when you switch over.

Regards Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Michael,

You are right I can order license, but how can I install it when database is in recovery mode ie not open. It means I can never install licesnse on Remote DR location since database will always be in recovery mode.

Also do you think that my mentioned strategy is a standard practice for SAP at DR location apart of this fact that I should use data guard with maximum capabilities rather shipping and applying archives manually.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

You are right I can order license, but how can I install it when database is in recovery mode ie not open. It means I can never install licesnse on Remote DR location since database will always be in recovery mode.

Please do install the license for the failover server on your primary side. This means you will have two licenses, one for the primary server and one for the failover. The license is stored in the database, so it will replicate to your standby side.