cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel patches in Solaris

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

First of all, I am fairly new to Unix...

I have a SAP NW 7.0 subscription system running on Solaris 10; I installed all usage types except PI. Now I want to upgrade to SP14. As part of this I have to patch the kernel from 111 to 133 as well.

According to this thread (https://forums.sdn.sap.com/click.jspa?searchID=9023739&messageID=4713075), I should copy the newly extracted kernel files to /sapmnt/<SID>/exe.

Note 19466 though states that I have to copy them to /usr/sap/<SAPSID>/sys/exe/run.

I did both, my system is up and running but if I check the kernel version under system/status/Sup.Pkg.lvl in the GUI, it still shows 111.

What is the proper way?

Also, can't I use JSPM to patch the kernel? If I run it, it shows the kernel but says something like no information available.

Thanks,

Guenther

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Found the issue myself: I used root to extract and copy the kernel files. SAPCPE during the start procedure running under <sid>adm did not have permission to copy the files from /sapmnt/<SID>/exe to the other directories.

After I deleted the existing files and recreated the new kernel using <sid>adm everything worked fine.

Another newbie lesson learned

Guenther