cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data type

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

How to change the Data Type already created and being used ?

Do we use Data type Enhancements? if we use it how to use Data type Enhancements? what about the earlier Data type?

Full Points will be Awarded.

thank you

Regards

Uday

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

deepak_shah
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

u can change the Data type u created any number of times.

however this will affect ur mapping where you have used those datatypes.

Once you have changed the Data type u should also take care to change your mapping accordingly.

to enchance existin SAP defiend data type u can use DATA type enhancement option in the INTERFACE object tab

right click on it and select new.

then select the data type u want to enchane...

then define the structure with which u want to enchance the existing data type.

once done save and activate.

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi all

Thank u for u r replies, clarified my doubt

regards

udday

Former Member
0 Kudos

udday:

When I came cross the problem you mentioned, especially when my mapping has done and thereafter, I found that I have add another root level, all I have to do is re-create data type.

Therefore, I wrote a MS excel tool to maintain my data structure, I created a few buttons on my tool, one is to check consistancy and other one is to generate XSDs based on the structure you maintained.

Once XSDs is generated, you can imported it while you want to create data type.

Obviously you can save different version of your data type in your spreadsheet.Think of how easily you maintain your structure in your spreadsheet, you can easily add one more level.

If you need more about the tool, I can just send to you.

Liang

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Data Type Enhancements

SAP applications enable customers to enhance application source code without making modifications and thus meet customer-specific requirements that are not provided for in the standard shipment.customers use applications that exchange messages by using XI, they can define data type enhancements for Integration Repository data types. Customers can use these enhancements to send additional data with a message and can access this data by using BAdIs

Features

You can make the following enhancements to a data type:

· You can add elements and structures at the top hierarchy level as subelements of the root element.

· You can define attributes for the root element or its inserted elements.

· You can create elements and attributes at the top hierarchy level as optional fields only. You can create all other elements and attributes as often as you like.

· You can define your own facets for newly inserted elements or attributes in the Details column. This is not possible for SAP data type fields.

Activities

... 1. Create a data type enhancement.

2. Assign a data type from a subordinate software component version to the data type enhancement. These data types are shown in the navigation tree of your software component version, in the Basis Objects branch.

3. The Integration Builder automatically enters the namespace of your data type enhancement in the XML Namespace field. You can enter a different XML namespace in this field if you want. The XML namespace avoids naming conflicts between customer fields and fields that are added later by SAP.

4. Enter the fields and attributes that you want to add at the top level on the Enhancement Definition tab page. The functions that are available in the XSD editor are also available here, but with the restrictions described above. You can look at the XSD representation on the XSD Definition tab page.

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2006/11/14/xipi-data-type-enhancements-standard-business-partner

Regards,

Phani

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Udday,

You can edit the already created Data type which will not affect in the following cases.

Let say

Before editing

<DT>

<Root>

<Field1/>

<Field2/>

</Root>

</DT>

Now you want to add three more fields to Root element or add another sub-struture to Root element

<DT>

<Root>

<Field1/>

<Field2/>

<Field3/>

<Field4/>

</Root>

</DT>

or

<DT>

<Root>

<Field1/>

<Field2/>

---<sub_root>

-

<field1/>

-

<field2/>

---</sub_root>

</Root>

<DT>

In above cases nothing will be affected in case of mapping. But int the below example, sure it will affect

<DT>

<Root_changed>

<Field1/>

<Field2/>

</Root_changed>

</DT>

or

<DT>

<Root_inserted>

<Root>

<Field1/>

<Field2/>

</Root>

</Root_inserted>

</DT>

raj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Customers and partners can use data type enhancements to add their own fields to SAP data types in the Integration Repository.

If you have a standard message type that you are reusing and then you just need to modify it a bit and rest of the strcutre remains the same.

You can make extensions to this exisiting message type and this will help you reusing the existing Data type and the change will not effect any exisiting interface thats using the same data type.

You can make the following enhancements to a data type:

· Can add elements and structures at the top hierarchy level as subelements of the root element.

· Can define attributes for the root element or its inserted elements.

· Can create elements and attributes at the top hierarchy level as optional fields only. You can create all other elements and attributes as often as you like.

Check the following URL

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp2005vp/helpdata/en/a8/bfc6373c8fea43bdb3541535bcbd43/frameset.htm

/people/michal.krawczyk2/blog/2006/11/14/xipi-data-type-enhancements-standard-business-partner

Thanks

Swarup