cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ESR in CE 7.1 vs. PI 7.1?

Former Member
0 Kudos

What is the difference between the ESR in CE 7.1 and PI 7.1? For ESOA use, what features will be missing if the ESR in CE 7.1 is used instead of the ESR in PI 7.1? Is it a good idea to use PI 7.1 ESR for interfaces and use CE 7.1 ESR for enterprise services?

Any thoughts or pointers will be very appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Many are asking the same question. I believe the answer lies on whether you choose to run web or enterprise services with a service mediation or not.

If you are mediating services via PI the ESR should reside on it. If you are trying just to create composite applications limited in scope and focused on solving specific issues then the ESR can reside on CE.

Just food for thoughts

Massimo D'Attoma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Jiannan

That is a good question. Technically there is very little difference between the ESR that is shipped with PI and CE. What has been done is to decouple the coupling between ESR and other parts of PI. If you have worked with Integration repository, you know it uses the AII properties which is part of PI. In the case of CE, this has been replace with application properties that can be set using NWA. Another difference is that CTC templates have been introduced in CE to create roles to remove coupling with the ABAP UME. In addition the roles have been renamed as ESR_* from XI_*.

From the use case perspective, here is the official definition

SAP NetWeaver Process Integration 7.1 (SAP NetWeaver PI 7.1)

You can use the ES Repository and Registry with SAP NetWeaver PI and take full advantage of the process integration capabilities of SAP NetWeaver and leverage the benefits of the Integration Directory and Integration Server. With the ES Repository, you can start modeling your business process and designing your interfaces, data types and mappings for the message exchange.

SAP NetWeaver Composition Environment 7.1 (SAP NetWeaver CE 7.1)

SAP NetWeaver Composition Environment 7.1 offers full service provisioning capabilities, also for those who need to work with a lean development environment and do not focus on process integration. For those customers, the ES Repository and Registry offers capabilities for service provisioning and consumption.

An another interesting aspect here is the Usage profiles - The usage profiles helps you customize the tool to the use case you are working with. You can either choose to work with Service Definition mode (as in the case of CE) or Process Integration (when you are working with PI scenarios).

regards

Rathish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rathish,

Thanks for the thorough answer. Based on your answer I think we should stick to PI71 ESR as I can not eliminate the potential of having web services using PI as the broker. Using PI ESR would make more sense from centralized governance perspective. Please let me know if you have different thought.

Regards,

Jiannan