Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Role Name and Profile Name

Former Member
0 Kudos

What are advantage and disadvantage of having same role name and profile name .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

A few ideas

Advantages

consistent naming when reporting (though this is not really a problem in ECCn systems)

Disadvantages

limited characters available for role naming

role names may be harder to identify

sure there are plenty more of either

11 REPLIES 11

Former Member
0 Kudos

A few ideas

Advantages

consistent naming when reporting (though this is not really a problem in ECCn systems)

Disadvantages

limited characters available for role naming

role names may be harder to identify

sure there are plenty more of either

0 Kudos

>

> Advantages

>

> consistent naming when reporting (though this is not really a problem in ECCn systems)

I allways point out the disadvantage of that one which is (in my oppinion) that one typo may ruin the system.

Imagine selecting a large set of profiles from the database, based on a list of rolenames. If one of the profilenames is mistyped said profile is not in your selection and that may remain unnoticed in large batches but does influence the outcome of security investigations.....

I'd rather trust the one-to-one database link between roles and profiles (AGR_PROF) rather than a 'fake' link created by a human.

Also limiting yourself from 30 to 12 characters in the role name, as pointed out, is quite a price to pay for creating this visible relation where the technical one already exists. You can call this one of my pet peeves and I'm very unlikely to leave the standpoint that meddling with profile names (as far as PFCG profiles are concerned, not the structural stuff) is a waste of time to say the least.

Edited by: Jurjen Heeck on Feb 20, 2008 1:33 PM

0 Kudos

>

>I'm very unlikely to leave the standpoint that meddling with profile names (as far as PFCG profiles are concerned, not the structural stuff) is a waste of time to say the least.

I agree. If you have >12 chars available then I like to use them for my role naming

Edited by: Alex Ayers on Feb 20, 2008 12:31 PM

0 Kudos

apart from the fact that a human can make errors while entering a profilename, using the "same" profilename as the role (at least the first 12 as for as the role is concerned) can come in handy sometimes.

e.g. when searching for authorizations in SUIM (where profilenames are displayed).

also when using the S_USER_PRO object it can sometimes be useful when the first 12 characters of the profile and role are identical because one can use more intelligible names.

0 Kudos

>

> apart from the fact that a human can make errors while entering a profilename, using the "same" profilename as the role (at least the first 12 as for as the role is concerned) can come in handy sometimes.

> e.g. when searching for authorizations in SUIM (where profilenames are displayed).

I never use that section of suim but always look in the role section.

> also when using the S_USER_PRO object it can sometimes be useful when the first 12 characters of the profile and role are identical because one can use more intelligible names.

Point taken. Actually I've never been in a situation where S_USER_PRO was filled with anything but to protect the SAP profiles, i.e. ACTVT * with PROFILE T* and ACTVT 03,08 with PROFILE *

0 Kudos

somehow this topic came to mind when looking into the RHANALYSIS_TOOL (Tcode HRAUTH).

I would say another pro for using the same profilenames as rolenames )

when looking at the HR authorization-objects, it comes in handy when you can immediately see which authorizations (and values) are located in which roles.

0 Kudos

Hi

how to find the profile name and class in SAP

0 Kudos

Hi

0 Kudos

Hi

0 Kudos

Hi

Former Member
0 Kudos

I saw your posted comment. Please raise your question again as a new question and follow our rules of engagement: https://community.sap.com/resources/rules-of-engagement. The author of the original question is no longer active in the community and won't receive your query. Feel free to take our Q&A tutorial at: https://developers.sap.com/tutorials/community-qa.html. With these tips you'll be able to prepare questions that draw responses from our members.