cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Click and open a thread

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Earlier if I click on a thread link, the new thread opened in a new window. Now it opens in the same window. I have to use the Back button to navigate to the original thread I was viewing. Is this an expected setting with some forum update?

I liked the previous setting, it was useful while some one gives a thread link as reply to your question.

Regrads,

Jaishankar

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

michael_goeck
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Jaishankar,

what thread link do you mean? Links in a forum's thread list have always opened in a new window.

Regards,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

MIchael,

Sorry. My mistake

Regards,

Jaishankar

michael_goeck
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

sorry, I made a typo: thread links in the forum's thread list have NEVER opened in a new window

If you create links in a post, they do open in a new window. However, links generated with the new markup like don't open in a new window.

Regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Michael,

While browsing though a froum thread, I clicked on a thread link and it opened the thread in a new window. There were links in the new thread, I have clicked on these links and it has opened in the same window.

Rergards,

Jaishankar

michael_goeck
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

this sounds strange and should not happen. Could you please specify this thread you read and also the links you mentioned, so I can look into this?

Thanks & regards,

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was browsing through Coffe corner forum Sticky Thread: Funny threads? Page 15. I opened the link posted by shibuettickal . This thread opened on a new window. In the new window I tried to open the link posted by Eric Cartman. This thread opened in the same window.

P.S: Now, I am confused which one opens in a new window and which one doesn't

Regards,

Jaishankar

JozsefSzikszai
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Jaishankar,

my link is just interested with Copy+Paste, probably that is the reason?

let's give another try:

copypaste:

as link: []

ec

UPDATE: Now both open in new window...

Edited by: Eric Cartman on Feb 20, 2008 11:46 AM

michael_goeck
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

this is really strange, I could reproduce this using both IE and Firefox.

Both links look the same when you look at their source code, both have the target set to "_newwindow".

The scenario only works when you:

- Click a link which opens in a new window

- Go to this new window

- Click a link there, and it will open in the same window

Perhaps this is for restricting opening too many windows which is seen as an annoyance by some users...

Regards,

Michael

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I noticed this and I think I have an explanation:

Clicking on a link will open in a new window. This new window remains the same "New Window" for all links.

• If you click on another link in the same original thread, it loads in the window you opened previously.

• Where it gets confusing is when you click on a link in the new window. Since you're now already in the new window it loads in the same page.

I just use Ctrl-Click to open things in a new tab (or R-Click -> New Window) if I want a new window.

Cheers,

Mike

michael_goeck
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

the links are opened with the target parameter "_newWindow". I guess that the new window get this "name" somehow, so that all links that have the target "_newWindow" get opened in it.

If "_blank" would be used, this would not happen, since "_blank" doesn't give "names" to new windows.

Regards,

Michael