cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does SDN go down constantly? Is it EP crashing?

Former Member
0 Kudos

One of our developers was on SDN this morning and noticed that the site was down . . again.

I logged in myself and got a familiar "Application Stopped!" message from EP.

What is the story? Maybe 85% of the time, I can log into SDN and use it without encountering any EP issues. But 85% problem-free visits is just not an acceptable service level. If SAP can't keep their own software up, I'm not optimistic for the rest of us.

We're implementing EP for our company-wide intranet next year, and SDN is one of the few indicators I have for the quality of this piece of software. My perception is that it is constantly crashing. Is that perception valid? Maybe the following data would help:

What is the average # service outages per day for SDN?

(I would love to get dates and times to see if they match with our observed dates and times)

What is the average service restoration window?

What are typical causes of service outages?

<end rant>

Thanks,

Jennifer Mills

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

gregorw
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jennifer,

as Mark Finnern mentioned in his Weblog <a href="/people/mark.finnern/blog/2005/10/10/small-announcements">Small Announcements</a> SDN is currently in a upgrade process. So please be patient. As I remember from the year before SDN was up 99%.

How large will your EP Intranet Deployment be?

Regards

Gregor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gregor,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, we've been seeing instability on SDN since long before October. I've been seeing problems since I started reading it in February. It's just worrisome; I don't know how much is reality and how much is my perception.

And one thing, even 99% uptime is not good if instances of downtime are frequent. 1 "down" minute occuring regularly every 2 hours will affect 10 - 20% of your users.

The intranet deployment would have about 600 users, which seems to be relatively small as far as EP deployments go. We're planning to implement Knowledge Management. Random people queried at Tech Ed seemed pleased with it. That's promising, at least. 😕

Sincerely,

--Jennifer

eddy_declercq
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

To be honnest we had our doubts too when we started implementing our portal. It needs to be used by > 7000 personel members and since the start of the academic year by > 13000 students and our portal didn't go (unwanted)down for a single second.

Eddy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jennifer,

We actually have been doing some background work since September at different stages.

If you can email me (firstname.lastname@sap.com) I'd like to hear about what you've been seeing for so long.

Craig

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

I feel your pain Jennifer. As the rest have indicated, they are doing an upgrade to the system. All I can say is that our portal installation is running smoothly, so not all instances of EP will be problemsome. Granted, we only have about 20-30 users at any given time, but still running smoothly. Good luck with your EP project.

Regards,

Rich Heilman