Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions on Alert monitor

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have few questions on alert monitor.

1. If we create an alert and have it as default macro, does it display in interactive planning book without a alert profile assignment? or should we assign an alert profile to see alerts in planning book. I remember that we just need alert profile if we need to check the alerts in a separate screen for our convenience.

2. Is alert profile assignment specific to a user? If that's so, then how we assign different profiles to different users? any transaction? or are they specific to a selection or planning book or version?

3. In Application specific alert profile, in SDP tab, under "SDP - Database Macro Alerts", I see few alerts types apart from standard ones. These were actually our previous alert macros. How did they get created like a alert type?

4. I created a simple macro with change color of cell to red if a condition is satisfied. Also raise an alert for that and assigned it to default. When I go back to the SDP94 screen and run the macro, my cells are highlighted as red whenever the condition is satisfied but when I click on the alerts icons, I get a blue information message "No alerts exist for your selection". When I click on the icon, it gives me a window saying " Internal error analyzing SDP alert".

Can somebody help me understand what's going wrong?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

srinivas_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1 --> If you want to see alerts in dataview, the user needs to have the alert profile assigned. Else they can look into alert monitor directly.

2 --> /sapapo/sdpalpr transaction

3--> custom alerts are defined in SDP alerts. you would need to create entries in SPRO --> SCM Basis --> Alert Monitor --> Maintain DB alert types for DP and SNP. Then call these entries in custom alert macros.

4 --> Check if alert profile is assigned to you. Ensure that the alert macro is correct syntactically and compiled correctly. Check oss as well since there may be notes lurking to be applied.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks srinivas. Right to the point. One final question. Is there any advantage of using custom alert types instead of standard ones?

srinivas_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Custom Alerts help you develop custom logic for coming up with alerts eg in your case issue one alert by looking at 6 time buckets. Such kind of user specific alert requirements cannot be met using standard alerts. Standard alerts also work only on SAP delivered key figures. IN any design, you are likely to use custom key figures which might warrant use of custom alerts since you would not want to modify SAP delivered alerts. I would encourage you to also check OSS notes that may need to applied since I remember we had to apply a note to enable custom alerts in 4.1

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Srinivas,

Thanks for the explanation. But when creating an alert macro, you can select "Standard Status Alert" in Alert type and enter your own Alert text and it shows up the alert text when you get an alert in planning book. Why do we need to define a new alert type here?

srinivas_krishnamoorthy
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think you can select that standard type.

However since it was SAP delivered, we chose not to, and instead created more line items in SPRO with text such as "Alert Message 1" etc. We created numbers ranging from 9001 to 9010. While defining the custom alert, under alert type, it showed up these numbers that were setup in SPRO. I would assume that just like you pick up 9001, you should be able to pick up 4100 or 4101 (alert type numbers) which is the standard status alert. If you run out of the numbers, you would definitely need to add more in SPRO settings. Remember the alert text is picked from SPRO, where you can change and make it more meaningful so that users can do sorting on those alerts.

Answers (0)