cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIC creation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I have 4 plants if i have 1000 MICs which i want to use in all 4 plants then is it necessary to create these 1000 MICs in all 4 plants seperatly. if it is so then what is the logic( reason ) of doing so.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amol,

You can use the same MIC for diffrent plant.what is problem.

Regards,

Neeraj Bhadauria

Former Member
0 Kudos

neeraj,

if i create all the mics in 1 plant and use them in different plants, will there be any problem (or inconvinience) in future (may be related to information system).

If no,why mics are maintained at plant level and not at client level?

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member196398
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Amol,

MIC's are generally created for a dummy QM Plant and used in other plants. In your case create it for a plant and use it in other plants. This logic is basically used to have a restriced and centralised control on creation and changes in MIC.

Regards,

Prasobh

Former Member
0 Kudos

prasobh,

if i create all the mics in 1 plant and use them in different plants, will there be any problem (or inconvinience) in future (may be related to information system).

If no,why mics are maintained at plant level and not at client level?

what is dummy Qm plant?

former_member196398
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sandip,

Which particular data for Information system you are worried about? Dummy plant is my own terminology - plant in SAP where it was created only to have the QM related master data.

Regards,

Prasobh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Decision to maintain MIC at each plant or maintain at one plant and using at all other plants will depend on policy of master data maintenance of the individual client(customer).

Centralized Master data: MICs at only one plant

Advantage: Less Data maintenance activity.

Limitation: same MIC data to be accessed across plants. Any change required in a particular plant cannot be accomplished.

Care to taken when defining authorizations related to MICrelated transactions and reports

Decentralized Master data: MICs at each plant

Advantage: Plant specific MICs can be created and used.

Limitation: Data maintenance would be more because of volume

Information system related to MIC will not effect much with either method.

Regards,

Krishna Mohan

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI KRISHNA,

I am agree with u but u must be knowing that MIC creation is at plant level .Then why it is not maintainted at client level in sap

Edited by: amol shahane on Feb 19, 2008 11:52 AM

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

QM with MICS was developed prior to batch classification module and MICS were created as plant level data at the time. MICS are unique to QM only.

Because General characteristics are used in classification and batch management, SAP had to develop a way for MICS to move data to the batch record. As such they came up with linking general characteristics to MICS. This linkage had to be made so that you only transferred the right kind of data, i.e. a value of CPS uom to a general characterisitc of CPS uom. A 2 decimal MIC to a 2 decimal general. etc...

Unfortunately, this is a one-to-one relationship and not one-to-many. As such, you only want ONE MIC to be used in a client for any test that might possibly be used in batch managment. Either now, or down the road. As a result, we usually recommend that all MIC's be created at the client level. Even if your not going to use batch management right away. To change later on can be a nightmare.

We only create MIC's at the plant level if the test is a temporary test, like for an short-term engineering study. Or if the MIC is totally unique to that manufacturing process and not the product. I.e. the plant needs the test to track the process but the test is not used to release the material. Or some other RARE occurance.

So, create them all in a central plant. You'll be glad you did!

I hope this helps you.

Craig

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi craig,

how to create MICs at client level?

former_member42744
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

MICS are not technically created a client level. All you do is create them in a single plant. You just have a business process in place that MIC's are only created in that single master data plant. There is nothing besides standard SAP security to prevent people from creating them at any plant.

Craig