cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combination of TreeView- and Table-Control

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I would like to combine a TreeView-Control with a Table-Control.

The records of the TreeView-Control do not only have a text that should be displayed. There are additional attributes that I would like to display. For these additional attributes (columns) I would like to define special celleditors like this is possible in the table-control.

-- text, input-field, radiobutton, ...

| text, input-field, radiobutton, ...

||-- text, input-field, radiobutton, ...

| text, input-field, radiobutton, ...

Is this behavior already implemented or planned for the future?

Regards

Helmut

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

does anybody know if the bug is fixed in SP11?

If not, is it scheduled for upcomming releases?

The bug is really bad - user is immediatelly lost, when he sees collapsed icon for item, which has visible children, he thinks the system is crashed :-(((

Best regards,

Nick

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nick,

Sadly this bug is still present in SP11

VS

Former Member
0 Kudos

If so, please open an OSS message. Perhaps it can make it into SP 13.

Armin

Former Member
0 Kudos

In reply to Thomas' message:

---

Thomas Chadzelek

Posted: Nov 23, 2004 1:18 PM

OK, it's a bug that the icon says "collapsed" when the node is rendered expanded. But I don't call the behaviour as a whole a bug because I have intentionally written code for this behaviour. (By the way, I thought it mimics the tree's behaviour, but never mind.)

What do you users think: should we just allow collapsing such a node, without changing the selection? Do we need an event when collapsing, maybe only if selection becomes hidden?

Or still show the selected node, but not its siblings if the parent is collapsed?

Looking forward to your opinions,

Thomas

---

First of all: thanks a lot for this beautiful TreeByNestingTableColumn, just the thing we urgently needed to combine a tree and a table.

For me it is essential to have an event when the node is collapsed. Our customers definitely do NOT want to see the table footer, they want to have as much rows in the table visible as there are items to see and have a scrollbar at the side. I handle this by simply counting all visible items in my tree and dynamically setting visibleRowCount for the table in wdDoModifyView().

Unfortunatley at the moment this update is only working when the node is expanded, regardless if I use onActionLoadChildren() or wdDoModifyView(). Thus the table stays larger than needed upto the moment the user is expanding a node again.

So my very first wish for SP13 is an event when a node is collapsed.

The behaviour for lead selection is quite tricky, it depends on user's demand. I vote for a configurable property in the master column, defining the collapsing behaviour:

1) simply collapse, not regarding if the item is selected. The lead selection is set anyway, so if the user collapses the node, the selection should still be valid, if he sees it or not. I can think of some cases where this is desirable.

2) not allowing to collapse -> I could think of many purposes, where this is also desirable. Of course the arrow icon shall not be changed in any way as it is at the moment!

When will SP13 be available?

Cheers,

Hartmut

Former Member
0 Kudos

I forwarded your message to Thomas C.

Concerning the number of visible rows: Setting visibleRowCount to -1 should also have the effect that all rows are visible.

Armin

former_member384931
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Hartmut,

many people complained about the problem with the "always visible leadSelection" in the TreeTable.

1) This behavior was made by intention because it is critical to hide those selected elements when an operation could be related to them. E.g. delete button etc.

2) We realized that current behavior confuses the user and is not really usable.

We discussed that issue and decided that we will implement the most wanted/requested proposal:

When a node is collapsed and the leadSelection is currently set to a child of any level of this node, the collapsed node will get the leadSelection and (of course) collapses. This is a behavior which is implemented by most of the known applications.

With this behavior we solved issue 1) and 2). We know that this could cause compatibility problems but the requestors and we decided to take that risk.

The new behavior is available in NW04 SP13.

With the introduction of this behavior it is not possible any more to introduce an onCollapse-Action because it could collide with the onLeadSelect-Action.

But as Armin already mentioned you can set the IWDTable.footerVisible=false and the visibleRowCount=-1 to see all elements without displaying the footer.

We will think about the possibility to prevent nodes from collapsing. Could you give us some use cases which you have in mind for that feature?

Tschue

Andreas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Where do I get SP6?

and when would it be available for open use?

Best wishes,

Mo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mo,

it'll become publicly available (no ramp up anymore) with SP09, that's NetWeaver '04.

Probably it'll come to market in october / november '04.

Best regards,

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

That is correct. SAP NetWeaver '04 Stack 9 will be delivered in October.

Best regards,

Karin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have the sneak preview version of WAS!

Is this object available in it? if yes, where? what I can see in the Web Dynpro is the standard Tree!!

Or am I looking for it in a completely wrong place?

Thx!

Mo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mo,

as Sneak Preview is SP04 it is not available there.

Best regards,

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Could anyone please let me know what is the status of this component?

When could we expect this to be a part of the developer studio?

Best wishes,

Mo

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Available since SP6.

So far I found only one bug with leadSelection: is sub-element is selected, it is not possible to collapse parent element. Everything else works fine for me.

WBR,

VS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Valery,

could you shortly explain how it's possible to get the current expanded element.

I'm using a recursive context and did the parameter mapping. But in the action I always get an NPE when trying to access the element.

Best regards,

Christian

Former Member
0 Kudos

Mail me to user:vsilaev server:gmail.com and i'll send you complete example

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vallery,

I'm working on SP9. Do you know if that bug you mentioned was fixed, 'cause it seems not (or perhaps I'm doing something wrong).

Another question: I know how to retrieve an element when the user expands it. Is there a way to retrieve an element when the user clicks to collapse, since the OnLoadChildren action is only invoked when expanding a node, and not when collapsing it.

The Tree object has an event called OnAction (except for the OnLoadChildren event), which is invoked when the user collapses the node as well. Is there a similar event in MasterColumn?

Regards,

Carmit Pinto.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Only bad news

1. Bug was not fixed even in SP10, just verified this

2. There is no way to attach event handler for "collapsing" event (and therefore fix the behavior mentioned programatically).

VS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

What do you mean by "fix the behavior mentioned programatically"? I cannot know when a node is collapsed if there's no event for that

I need an event handler for collapsing in order to select the table row of the expanded/collapsed node. When expanding/collapsing a node, the table row is left unselected. Is there another way to chenge that behavior?

Carmit

thomas_chadzelek
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

we consider it a feature that a selected node is always visible. But I learn from this discussion that we need to rethink our position.

Please tell me more about your requirements: why would you want to react to the user's collapsing a node? The idea of onLoadChildren is just "load on demand" of content. It is present in IWDTree as well as IWDAbstractTreeTableColumn (from which the only non-abstract master table column class inherits).

Bye,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thomas, I guess you miss the point.

The problem is that table with IWDAbstractTreeTableColumn behaves incorrectly.

Scenario:

1. User expands row ParentX

2. User selects row ChildY under ParentX

3. Now user collapse row ParentX

Result:

ParentX children are visible, selection remains on ChildY. However, tree handler image on ParentX shows that it is collapsed.

If onCollapse action would exist, then developer could programmatically moves selection, say, to first visible parent (i.e. parent, whose all grandparents are expanded)

WD does not handle this automatically, hence the problem described above appears.

These seems like a bug rather then a feature -- Tree control behaves correctly.

VS

thomas_chadzelek
Participant
0 Kudos

OK, it's a bug that the icon says "collapsed" when the node is rendered expanded. But I don't call the behaviour as a whole a bug because I have intentionally written code for this behaviour. (By the way, I thought it mimics the tree's behaviour, but never mind.)

What do you users think: should we just allow collapsing such a node, without changing the selection? Do we need an event when collapsing, maybe only if selection becomes hidden?

Or still show the selected node, but not its siblings if the parent is collapsed?

Looking forward to your opinions,

Thomas

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think, the easiest and generic way to satisfy all requirements of developers around this collapse functionlity would be to give an event handler with a parameter which is of type IWDNodeElement that points to the current element where the collapse button is clicked.

But there is some good news...

The collapse functionality work for all rows except the first row. There is a round about solution for this problem.

1.Set the lead selection property of the node to "false".

2.set the lead selection to the first row of the table in the wdModify() method.

Being said that, you have noticed that the unexpected behavior of the "collapse functionality" is because of the lead selection bug.

Thanks and Regards,

Sam Mathew

Former Member
0 Kudos

Helmut,

I have good news for you. A server-side rendering implementation of such a UI element is currently being developed and will be available soon.

Regards, Armin

htammen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Armin,

thanks for your answer. When will it be available?

I need it yesterday

Regards

Helmut

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Helmut,

It will be delivered with the official customer release (SAP NetWeaver 04)!

We will then offer an table extension, a so-called "TreeByNestingTableColumn".

In this new first column a tree will appear, all other columns can you use as before.

Best regards,

Karin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Karin,

that sounds good. I implemented something like that for a demo (just to prove it's possible) sometimes ago, but it was lot of "fun" since the tree has to be somehow simulated in the first (or any other column) and needed lots of action handling for expanding and collapsing the nodes, which in that case, wasn't really nodes.

Best regards

Stefan