cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mapping lookup usage

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

In my scenario (SAP System - XI - WebService, all are on separate machines), when I get response from WS, message contains text descriptions of some elements (e.g. <job position>senior software engineer</job position>), but SS expects ids instead of descriptions (e.g. <job position>3</job position>). The table, containing descriptions and identifiers is stored in SS system. So as far as I understand, I need:

1. write a func. module in SS that would take descriptions and give identifiers according to the table

2. create a lookup mapping on XI side, that would call the function from 1 through RFC comm. channel.

Is my scenario correct? If so, give me please details on these two(and further) steps, as I understand all this rather commonly. If it's not - please, provide the correct one.

Thank you.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

actually,

i feel you scenarior could be having problem.

because ws side can get the description for the field <job>,so its id should be maintained in ws side as per general rule.

if as you said,i think that is so queer.

i think you should be able to get id together with its description instead of

only get its description.

of course,your code of the field <job> of ss side may be defferent form ws side.

but as this,you should use value mapping instead of mapping lookup to solve the problem.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Big thanks to everyone for notes!

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dimitry,

From your scenario, it's clear that you are doing Synch to Synch scenario. Your steps are correct.

For RFC Lookup

/people/alessandro.guarneri/blog/2006/03/27/sap-xi-lookup-api-the-killer

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/a03e7b02-eea4-2910-089f-8214c6d1...

Is it RFC to Webservice scenario? is it Standard RFC or Custom RFC, if it's custom RFC then I would suggest,rather than doing lookup,after u got back the response from webservice you can do the steps in RFC itself isn't it?

raj.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Raj,

Systems are connected in this way: SS (client proxy) XI (soap) WS. Message should be delivered to SS in correct format, it's not possible to make some changes after response message achieves SS. So I still think I need lookup here...

justin_santhanam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dimitry,

If it's the case, then fine u can go for Lookup's.

raj.

VijayKonam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hei,

As you are saying the look up matrix is available in SS machine it slef. Then once you got the response from WS, and when your client proxy ends up executing, then take the response strucutre and manipulate it the way u want where you are calling the clinet proxy.

If you do look ups from XI, that would too many wound trips from XI to SS which is not a good design.

VJ

Edited by: VijayShankar Konam on Feb 17, 2008 11:43 AM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Guys, thank you for the answers. One think to add - Client proxy is buildin in SS - I don't manipulate it. Besides, I'm able to do too little changes in that SS - this is customer's system and they hardly accepted the idea of writing function module on their side. That is why I made a decision to use lookups.