cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to backup all of archived logs to the specifed pipe?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi dear maxdb lovers!

Is there any opportunity to backup all of the archived logs (on oracle terms: oraarch directory)

to the specified pipe medium (via backint).

Now, when I'm launcing backing up (pipe medium of type LOG) maxdb just generates new (one) redo log and sends to the pipe...

By the way, can we geneates switch log files, which in oracle terms means executing ALTER SYSTEM SWITCH LOGFILE ???

Regards,

Vladimir

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vladimir,

to copy Log-Backups that had been done to the filesystem to a pipe, the archive_stage command should be the one you're looking for.

See the documentation for details : [Archiving Backup Files|http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_6/41/c93575d8d9540fe10000000a114cbd/content.htm].

Hmm --- rereading your post I'm not sure I got your question right... Whenever you perform a manual Log-Backup, ALL previously unsaved Logdata will be saved. The files generated will always have the maximum size of a log-segment (check the docu about this concept!).

Concerning the ALTER SYSTEM SWITCH LOGFILE command equivalent. For MaxDB it's not necessary to run such a command to keep backups of Log and Data in synch. All databackups are automatically exact copies of the data at a specific log-I/O-sequence number.

Anyhow, you can force a savepoint (writing out "dirty" that is changes pages) with the command: db_execute force savepoint.

But again: it's not necessary to use it in order to make backups.

I hope I answered your questions.

Best regards,

Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars!

Thank you very much for reply.

So, let me explain my vision of maxdb backup conception.

Firstly we have a medium of AutoLog and FILE type, named X_FILE

Another one of Log and PIPE type, named X_PIPE

When we decide to send the archived logs we execute following command:

archive_stage X_PIPE X_FILE

Is It correct? Or wheather we can simply create one pipe medium of type AutoLog to omit one operation...(backup to file system)

regards,

Vladimir

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vladimir,

you don't need a 'vision' of the backup concept - you need the manual

[archive_stage|http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_7/45/3f1ce4119d4e689f12dd81abd9e375/content.htm]

Basically the command should work like you wrote it.

Using the Autolog-Feature directly with pipes is not possible for a good reason: we have no way to know, if the pipe worked correctly and the "other side" did everything alright.

Therefore we just write out to the filesystem and know if this was successfull (or not).

KR Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Lars, thanks! Thats the information I've searched for!

The latest question. I've tried to restore archived logs from the tape (after succeffully moving them there via archive_stage), but not found them amoung the available restorable files in restore wizad....(there were no the corresponding checkbox in front of log files)...

regards,

Vladimir

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Vladimir,

hmm... it works on my system w/o problems.

Could it be that for the recovery all necessary LOG-Information is still in the Log-Area?

In this case no log-Backups will be recovered.

Try to perform the restore with initialization.

With that the log area will be completely ignored and set to "zero". Therefore you will loose the information that had not been backed up so far.

KR Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lars!

Here It is updated information concerning the recovery procedure of archived log file.

Now I can choose the specific LOG (but just one????!!! file at once) to recover.

After a while recovery process ends with the error message: "Can not write to pipe '/sapdb/XXX/pipe' (OS error: 'Broken pipe')."

As I can see from recovery log, oracle's backint successfully restored file.

Regards,

Vlaidimir

Former Member
0 Kudos

up