Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP security design

Former Member
0 Kudos

All,

What is mean by SAP Security design (role design) for R3/ECC5 and Netweaver etc..what exactly a security consultant will do for role design??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

I agree with Auke Visser & Alex Ayers, documents will give you the best knowledge. But in order to build security roles you need to understand the company(i.e client 's) security strategy/ requirement.

Prepare authorization matrix for each module, then create roles based on the requirement. You can take help Functional team help to prepare auth. matrix.

Still if you want more info, pls. let me know.

~Praveen

9 REPLIES 9

Former Member
0 Kudos

rule 1 is to follow the right SAP Classroom courses (ADM940/950/960), there you will find all the answers

0 Kudos

>

> rule 1 is to follow the right SAP Classroom courses (ADM940/950/960), there you will find all the answers

The ADM courses will tell you the How, but not the What and only part of the Why

0 Kudos

Alex

I agree that the courses if you follow the books do not adress these issues, but when i (and a number of my collegues) teach we add this kind of stuff to make it better for the students.

Tomorrow i will teach ADM960 so i will make sure that i add this kind of info.

0 Kudos

>

> Alex

>

> I agree that the courses if you follow the books do not adress these issues, but when i (and a number of my collegues) teach we add this kind of stuff to make it better for the students.

> Tomorrow i will teach ADM960 so i will make sure that i add this kind of info.

Hi Auke,

I am in the same position. With approx 1.5 hours to cover it in Unit1 for 940, that's not a great amount of time to dedicate to the topic. A candidate is fine of they have an instructor who goes though the various options, but as you know, quality of delivery and topic coverage can vary greatly and many people who have participated in the courses haven't a clue about how to start a role design outside of posting a request for the role design spreadsheet.

While the courses have a good part to play in learning about security, from a role design perspective I'm not so sure.

0 Kudos

>

> Tomorrow i will teach ADM960 so i will make sure that i add this kind of info.

So how did it go?

Julius

0 Kudos

>

> >

> > Tomorrow i will teach ADM960 so i will make sure that i add this kind of info.

> So how did it go?

>

> Julius

Auke should be finished by Wednesday evening

0 Kudos

3 days of listening to Auke! That should scare the hell out of those who even know about SAP_ALL

Former Member
0 Kudos

> What is mean by SAP Security design (role design) for R3/ECC5 and Netweaver etc..what exactly a security consultant will do for role design??

Depending on the company and the security consultants the roles can vary hugely.

Typically during the design stage, the security consultant should be doing a number of activities (below is only a sample)

Creating Security Strategy

Analysing business control requirements and mapping to technical restrictions

Working with functional, controls, audit teams & the business to identify groups of activities and mapping transactions to those activities. Working with aforementioned teams to identify SoD risks within proposed design

Advising where security restrictions may not be best approach for providing desired level of control

Working with basis team to get security params in place

Specify restriction requirements to ABAP team for any custom work

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kevin,

I agree with Auke Visser & Alex Ayers, documents will give you the best knowledge. But in order to build security roles you need to understand the company(i.e client 's) security strategy/ requirement.

Prepare authorization matrix for each module, then create roles based on the requirement. You can take help Functional team help to prepare auth. matrix.

Still if you want more info, pls. let me know.

~Praveen