cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legacy to R/3

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I am doing a File to R/3. The legacy system sends me a file with delivery update which I have to update in R3. The number of fields I get from legacy is very less. I need to update in R3 - the delivery document with updated amounts from the flat file.

I was looking into the BAPI's which update the delivery..but there is nothing available to update the amounts...I would really appreciate if there are some options provided to work out this interface..

1) Do I have to write a custom BAPI?

2) Is using IDOC's a overhead as I get only few fields from legacy?

3) Is proxy anyway useful here??if so how?

Please provide some valuable solutions..

thanks

Thilothama

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

hi thilothama...

well, ther r few readymade BAPI's available for upddtaes(change)...and if u do not find the BAPI u want ,then yes u will have to customize ur own BAPI...

and in ur scenario R3 to IDOC wont create any overhead...its just a simple scenario...

regards...

vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

IDOC or BAPI - does it matter based on volume of data to be posted? or I can use both for heavy volumes too??

Also about proxy - is it something that can be used here?

thanks

thilothama

Former Member
0 Kudos

i think this wud clear ur few doubts on proxies..

>>what are proxies used for and how good they are..

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/86/58cd3b11571962e10000000a11402f/content.htm

Refer to these links :

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/02/265c3cf311070ae10000000a114084/frameset.htm

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/library/xi/java proxies and sap xi - the inside story, part ii.pdf

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/com.sap.km.cm.docs/library/uuid/f272165e-0401...

also go thru this blog for abap proxies

/people/siva.maranani/blog/2005/04/03/abap-server-proxies

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/03/14/abap-proxies-in-xiclient-proxy

and i dont think it shud really matter for BAPI or IDOC...

regards..

vishal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Which IDoc type you are using and what is the process code ?

If you know what process code you are using, you can debug and find if the data is parsed into internal tables and calls a FM, then you can import the FM as RFC, if it is not RFC enabled then create a wrapper and call it.

I do not have access to R/3 system now, but I can find it tomorrow. Post the IDoc type you are using.

regards

Shravan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am just getting 4 fields from legacy and have to update the condition records for the delivery..u think IDOC is a good one for this...considering the fact that i get only 4 fields..

Also I have one approach in mind - write a BDC to update the delivery and use it in the custom bapi that I might have to write...is it good one?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Shravan,

Any solutions ???

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thilothama,

If you already have standarad idoc/BAPI functionality defined then go for the existing standarad functinality.

If there is no standard functionality defined then you could consider proxies.

Refer this weblog on choosing right adapter technology.

/people/ravikumar.allampallam/blog/2005/08/14/choose-the-right-adapter-to-integrate-with-sap-systems

hope this helps..

Regards

Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Anand,

Thanks for the info...but I dont have std BAPI or IDOC to update those records alone...

and there are only 2 fields in delivery which i want to update...how do u think i can approach this interface??

If I use proxy..load some internal tables and then i have to call a function which updates the delivery.. - will this work?? and if so what shld i deal with in the function module?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thilothama,

If you don't have a standard BAPI or IDoc and if your SAP system is based on WAS 6.40 then you can go for proxies.

Yes if u use a proxy then you will have all the data sent from XI available inside your proxy and you can call FM which updates the delivery.

And as far as the code inside the function module is concerened you can choose any approach you want to use to update the delivery data (this idoc/bapi/proxy does not have much imapct on internal functionality. Idoc or BAPI or proxy interfaces you can use the same approach. Idoc/BAPI/proxy are just the way to get the data using different formats, sync/async and protocols , internal functionality can be the same for all) .

As you had mentioned earlier you can consider BDC also as one of the approaches if it satisfies your requirements. If you have better approach than BDC then go for it since BDC is screen dependent.

hope this helps..

Regards

Anand

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thilothama,

You can follow what Anand said, using Proxies.

But I do not consider option of BDCs with Sales / Delivery documents (in fact most of new standard programs) going forward into the 4.7 and newer versions since these are more GUI oriented.

As I said earlier, debug through, and at some point the program calls an FM, you can use that FM in the Proxy That will be the best option to use.

Sorry couldn't get back to you earlier.

regards

Shravan

Former Member
0 Kudos

I dont find any FM to update the condition records in the delivery..Has anyone used any FM before???

Answers (0)