Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Field USERALIAS - Make it Bigger

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, I hope this is the right forum.

The field user alias in SU01 is 40 character in size. We have been asked to change the size of this field to accommodate a change the internal email address standards. Has anyone been asked for a similar request before? If so, do you know if this field is used elsewhere in SAP. We know we use if in a BW cube but want to try and find out where else it is used before we make the change.

Thank you.

Diane

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Diane,

I would be very cautious changing a standard SAP field.

You can see where the field is used SE84 ->ABAP Dictionary -> Fields -> Table fields

Enter the tech name of the field and click the where used icon

0 Kudos

I agree with Alex.

The field is also a domain which has fixed output lengths. It is used by more than one structure and an unknown number of internal tables.

Even if you find a single table field of it and change it, and are able to insert longer character strings into the screen, that does not help you if the input / output mechanisms of SAP internal mechanisms truncate your alias anyway.

There have been some posts here on a related topic. If you search for SUSR_INTERNET_USER_SWITCH then you will find more infos.

Kind regards,

Julius

Former Member
0 Kudos

Both

Thank you, your comments confirmed my thinking. We are not going to change the field, instead we are gong to create a Z table to contain the data. Time will tell what effect this has elsewhere in the system!!!

0 Kudos

Hi Diane,

That sounds like the safer option. There must be some creative internal email changes to exceed 40 characters!