cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archiving issue

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi XI guru,

We have an XI system gone live for in 5-6months. and right now found sxmb_moni-> persistency layer analysis have high Current Fill Level, about 40-50. And we do have setup message deletion job, so all these left messages are unprocessed/error message.

Now we just setup archiving job according to PDF<Archive and Delete Messages in SAP XI: A Step-by-Step Guide> mentioned in another thread. And We also Canceled all error message. So ideally, archiving job should saved these messages in archive file and flag these message. finally delete job will delete these message with archive flag.

But when after archive job ran, according to job log, 0 XML message archived. So this confused me.

Am I understand this wrong? or Archive should setup at very beginning, all message happened before archive setup will not be archived?

Thank you for your time to reply

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member334189
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Qi Zhang,

your understanding is absolutely correct. If an erroneous message is canceled it gets flagged for archiving automatically in a productive environment. This happens to document the violation of the Exactly-Once-protocol and hence cannot be turned off in a productive system.

I'm pretty sure you have canceled the messages and started archiving right away, didn't you? Well, in this case the reason for not archiving these canceled message is just that the retention period did not expire. This period applies to messages in final state. As long as the message is in error state, it can be restarted and, thus, its state is not yet final. The state becomes final right when the cancelation takes place.

Because of this please wait until the canceled messages are no longer in the retention period and then restart archiving.

Best Regards,

Harald Keimer

XI Development Support

SAP AG, Walldorf

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Keimer,

Nice to have you here. I saw you in many XI threads. And give valueable suggestions. You also gave the right answer for my question. Big thank you to you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Keimer,

I just found another interesting issue in our development XI envoirment.

We didn't usually go to sxmb_moni->processing statistics to check the summary data there. But today we went there and it shows some unusual data.

XML Messages with Errors 967

- Manually Canceled 5

Unprocessed XML Messages 0

XML Message Being Edited 2.269

Correctly Processed XML Messages 12.785

Archived XML Messages 0

XML Messages Flagged for Deletion 0

Deleted XML Messages 0

XML Messages/Day 138

- Minimum 1

- Maximum 12.468

- Today 12.468

Probably you have awared, that Correctly processed XML Message has the same amount as Today message amount. But we never have these messages processed at today. I also check message monitor, acturally, no message at today.

And we do scheduled delete job to run, but all these correctly processed XML Messages still there.

I also go to SE16 ,checked table SXMSPMAST, found these correct message have field ITFACTION = ARCH. This means we have archived these messages and I can see these message archived on hard disk. But in statistic, Archived XML Messages = 0.

This confused me very much, any info will be appreciated. thank you in advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Keimer,

I also checked OSS Notes:872388 as you mentioned in another threads. I did checked each step in <Troubleshooting Archiving / Deletion of XML messages and history entries in the Integration Server>, and it looks ok to me.

it finally let me run report <RSXMB_SHOW_REORG_STATUS>, and sent OSS message, I will do that. But I'd like to post report result here for your reference, probably you have some clue from the following data.

Reorganization Status of XI Messages in the Database

Retention periods and message and adapter status ignored in the following

Number of messages in DB: 16.047

Number of messages in client: 16.047

Number of messages in client still to be reorganized: 16.047

Archiving

============

Number of messages to be flagged for archiving

Message and adapter status is ignored in the following

- Msgs not in retention period (can be archived): 12.791

- Msgs in retention period (cannot be archived): 0

Message and adapter status is considered in the following

- Messages to be flagged for archiving: 12.762

Number of messages already flagged for archiving

- Messages to be archived: 0

Number of archived messages that can now be deleted

- Messages to be deleted: 0

Delete

=======

Number of messages to be flagged for deletion

- Asynchr. msgs not in retention period (can be deleted): 3.254

- Asynchr. msgs in retention period (cannot be deleted): 2

- Asynchronous messages without errors to be flagged: 0

- Synchr. msgs not in retention period (can be deleted): 0

- Synchr. msgs in retention period (cannot be deleted): 0

- Synchronous messages without errors to be flagged: 0

- Synchronous messages with errors to be flagged: 0

Number of messages already flagged for deletion

- Messages to be deleted: 0

Answers (9)

Answers (9)

yiahwee_thyng
Explorer
0 Kudos

hi, I did not set "Archive Inbound Message only", thus rightfully all versions of message shld be archived.However i found that my messages were set to XRCH instead of ARCH, and only 1st version was archived. Why is this so? Did I miss anything?

Many thanks in advance.

former_member334189
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Yes, that's right. As long as RSXMB_DELETE_ARCHIVED_MESSAGES did not run, these messages are visible in SXMB_MONI.

former_member334189
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Qi Zhang,

yes, your understanding of the reports as well as the example is absolutely correct.

Just one remark regarding Day2 in your example: please never ever delete entries from queues by SMQ2 directly, but use cancel functionality from XI UI only. Canceling a message will also delete its corresponding entry from queue.

Best Regards,

Harald Keimer

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok, I will never do that again.

Let's go deeper a little bit:

When we archived message whatever these messages are Canceled or Successful. Without running report RSXMB_DELETE_ARCHIVED_MESSAGES , these messages still exists in XI and we still can see it by using SXMB_MONI, right?

After report run, these Canceled or Successful messages will gone, means will never appear in SXMB_MONI. If we want to review these archived messages, we need to sxmb_moni->archived XML message(Searching using Archive).

Am I right?

Edited by: Qi Zhang on Feb 18, 2008 7:22 AM

former_member334189
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Qi Zhang,

let me explain the process in a few words. Well, If a message

enters the Integration Server the field ITFACTION is set to INIT. Then the interface is checked for the action to take. If it is listed as an interface for archiving, the field ITFACTION is changed to ARCH. Otherwise it changes to DEL.

Please note that this field describes what action applies to the message. It does NOT provide any information on the status. I.e. do not conclude that archiving already took place because ITFACTION=ARCH. This only means that the message is to be

archived, it does NOT mean that archiving is done.

All messages with ITFACTION=DEL will be deleted by report RSXMB_DELETE_MESSAGES as soon as message processing is complete (message status is final) and adapter status allows deletion.

All messages with ITFACTION=ARCH have to be archived by report RSXMB_ARCHIVE_MESSAGES first and will then be deleted by report RSXMB_DELETE_ARCHIVED_MESSAGES (similar name as RSXMB_DELETE_MESSAGES, but totally different messages are handled!)

It is not possible to delete messages with ITFACTION=ARCH by report RSXMB_DELETE_MESSAGES.

Now canceling a message forces the field ITFACTION to be set to ARCH in a productive system. I.e. this message MUST be archived and it cannot be deleted by report RSXMB_DELETE_MESSAGES anymore, even if ITFACTION initially was set to DEL.

Best Regards,

Harald Keimer

XI Development Support

SAP AG, Walldorf

Former Member
0 Kudos

Nice to see you answer, and just want to confirm the difference between report RSXMB_DELETE_MESSAGES and RSXMB_DELETE_ARCHIVED_MESSAGES

RSXMB_DELETE_MESSAGES will delete these messages which has flag DEL, and will not delete messages which has flag ARCH or INIT.

RSXMB_DELETE_ARCHIVED_MESSAGES will delete these messages which has been archived, of cause these message has flag ARCH.

Now I will give an real life example to demostrate my understanding, and will practice this in our system, if system not behavior as my understanding, that means some configration will be wrong or OSS message will be sent.

Day1 1000 messages blocked in queue at our development XI system.

Day2 This situation was awared.

Day2 We deleted these 1000 messages from SMQ2(we setup 3 queue for processing messages, and these 3 queues are all blocked with error, if we don't delete these messages in queue, SXMB_MONI will not let me cancel these messages)

Day2 We canceled these 1000 messages in SXMB_MONI(I know we also can do this by report RSXMB_CANCEL_MESSAGES )

Day2 We setup 1 day retention period

Day4 Run report RSXMB_ARCHIVE_MESSAGES, this 1000 messages were archived

Day4 Run report RSXMB_DELETE_MESSAGES will not delete 1000 messages,even they have final status(CANCEL), because these messages were CANCELed

Day4 Run report RSXMB_DELETE_ARCHIVED_MESSAGES will delete 1000 messages, because this report will delete all archived messages, and these 1000 messages were archived.

Please correct me if there is any misunderstanding.

former_member334189
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Qi Zhang,

I had a look to report SXMB_MESSAGE_STATISTICS2 which provides the processing statistics. This report basically analyzed the history table.

The reason for displaying a high number of messages processed 'today' is most likely the cancelation of erroneous messages. Each time a message is canceled its state becomes final as described above. The point in time when this status change happens is tracked in several tables. On of these table is the history table. Thus, if a message is canceled the status change is tracked in history table and consequently the report SXMB_MESSAGE_STATISTICS2 counts this message as 'processed today'.

However, I'm wondering about the counter - Messages to be flagged for archiving: 12.762. This counter indicates that almost all (but 29) of your messages should be archived. At this point in time things become more difficult without having access to the system. Here I recommend to run the archiving job one more time. If this job does not archive these messages, please open an OSS ticket. Kindly attach the job logs as well as a fresh output of report RSXMB_SHOW_REORG_STATUS and point out that you already have followed OSS note 872388. Then send the ticket to component BC-XI-IS.

Best Regards,

Harald Keimer

XI Development Support

SAP AG, Walldorf

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Keimer,

Thank you for your quick response.

I just have another run of archive by executing report RSXMB_ARCHIVE_MESSAGES, but still 0 XML archived. I will send OSS message and provide info as you mentioned above.

Another question is: When these Canceled messages were archived successfully. Is that possible use delete job or report RSXMB_DELETE_MESSAGES to delete these canceled messages from XI? Means I will never see these canceled messages in sxmb_moni anymore.

The reason why I ask this question is I saw following statement in Notes 872388:

1. Troubleshooting Archiving / Deletion of XML messages and history entries in the Integration Server

Note: Only messages in a final status can be deleted / archived. Messages with errors have to be cancelled first. After that these cancelled messages can only be archived and will not be deleted!

I am not sure what is that means. Please help to identify the right one.

Also, I am not clear about the message flag change process.

Flag changes from INIT to DEL to ARCH. What action will make these status changing happens?

I am sorry for asking so many questions, but it's difficult to find someone like you to clearly understand the whole thing behind XI. I don't want to miss this great chance to ask.

Thank you again for your great support~

Former Member
0 Kudos

additional question comes, I have posted as prior, any info will be appreciated.

Edited by: Qi Zhang on Feb 16, 2008 3:18 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Qi,

has your archive delete run? Because you will get proper message like xxx message archived ..and then delete only after archive delete run.

I have observed this in my archiving setup.

You can try by putting retention period for archive and delete as same and run the archive process. only when both jobs has run will you get proper. message.

Yu can also check out OSS note 872388 'Troubleshooting Archiving and Deletion in XI 3.0'

Ranjeet Singh.

Edited by: Ranjeet Singh on Feb 15, 2008 8:33 AM

former_member184619
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Qi,

Just check this blog:

/people/gourav.khare2/blog/2007/12/21/mass-cancellation-of-error-messages--xi

As mention in this the report program to cancel the messages... there are others report such as

RSXMB_ARCHIVE_MESSAGES Archive XML Messages

RSXMB_CANCEL_NOT_REST_MESSAGES Cancel XI Messages With Errors That Cannot Be Restarted

RSXMB_DELETE_ARCHIVED_MESSAGES Delete Archived XML Messages

RSXMB_DELETE_MESSAGES Delete XML Messages from the Persistency Layer

Just check these Reports as these might be helpful.

Sachin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

To archive XML messages, you must first define the interfaces whose messages you want to archive. You then need to schedule corresponding archiving jobs.

You have called the transaction Integration Engine – Monitoring (SXMB_MONI) and are on the Integration Engine: Monitoring screen.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/fc/e6173d3215cc40e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Also refer SAP Note 789352

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04s/helpdata/en/8b/c05742680bdc54e10000000a155106/frameset.htm

Thanks

Swarup

Edited by: Swarup Sawant on Feb 15, 2008 7:48 AM