cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shutting down SAP System??

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I was just trying to understand .. if we shutdown the system on which SAP is installed will SAP be shutted down smoothly or do we need to shutdown SAP through SAP MMC and then shutdown the system at os level !!! May be very basic !

Thanks & Regards

Mrutyunjay

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

when you shutdown the operating system every process will receive a shutdown notification event.

the SAP Service will automatically initiate a shutdown (stop) of the SAP System controlled by the service.

The Oracle Database will automatically initiate a shutdown of the instance (immediate).

But you will face following problems:

1. the shutdown of the SAP System and the database are not synchronized.

the database will shutdown while the SAP System is trying to run some final

updates in the database

2. Windows itself waits only a very short time (30 Secons) for all processes to complete

the shutdown request. After that the operating Systeme will just kill the proceses in order to complete the shutdown. that means that you can not guarantee that the applications are stopped in a logical manner before the operating system stops them.

Therefore you should:

1. stop all applications servers

2. stop stopp database servers

3. shutdown the operating systems

manually or by script in this order.

regards

Peter

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Peter.

former_member433984
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I would say the sequence

- stop SAP

- stop DB

- stop OS

for stopping of SAP in command line you can use stopsap.exe or better sapcontrol.exe (as of 6.40) or, of course, SAP MMC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Tha'ts true please proceed in an order of

stop SAP Instance

stop DB

and then your Operating System.

Cheers

Deepanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mrutyunjay,

please always shutdown the SAP system though the SAP MMC first.

It's like you want to restart your workstation and your Office (or something else) is still open.

All could be fine after the restart, but also you could get some problems (lost of unsaved data or something like that).

So closing all running programms first is the best way.

Regards,

Norman Schröder

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Kaushal and Norman.

Kaushal : Sorry.. I may not have clearly stated my question ::

My question is if you shutdown the system on which you have installed SAP at os level Without stopping SAP either through TELNET or SAP MMC....does it stop the SAP services correctly or not ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

to prevant damage of SAP/Database you must stop SAP system/DB before shutdown OS

regards,

kaushal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SAP be shutted down smoothly  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????

both way are same,

either you can shutdown sap system using MMC ( on windows) or you can shutdown the sap system using telnet and using stopsap.

regards,

kaushal