cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drill down based on the value selected in a table

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am new to VC and my requirement is to drill down from the table based on the value selected in a table. I have a BI query which shows WBS elements by costs in a tabular manner. I want to click on one of the WBS elements shown in the table and then that should open a detail table filtered to that WBS only.

Its similar to report to report interface thats there in standard Bex.

ANy inputs are appreciated.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can do a kind of RRI via a pop-up or visibility condition of a nested iview. Tell me more details and I send you a step-by-step solution.

Regards,

Gilson

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your inputs. Here are the details:

One main BI query which will be the central query which has WBS and WBS amount. There are two supporting or drilled down queries. Both of the drill down queries needs WBS elements as variable input. The first drill down should be triggered once user click on a WBS element on the first/main query. The second drill down should triggered/displayed once the user clicks on amount.

Let me know if you need more info.

Assigned points

Model->

Input form -> BI main query -> Output table(main)

-> Drill down one -> Table 2

|-> Drill down two -> Table 3

If possible I would like to show the drill down queries in place of the main query table and not as a pop-up

Thanks

Edited by: BW Novice on Feb 16, 2008 10:34 PM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear friend,

You can do it by placing all your three tables on top of each other an play with their visibility condition. Let me try to simulate here.

1. Place all three queries at your storyboard with their respective tables;

2. At you main query add two toolbar buttons called WBS and WBS Amount. Add also a 'Store' element from output of this main query. Add one text field called WBS and other number field called WBS_Amount (if your Amount is a number field in your table). Make default value 'Main' in text field and number 1 to number field. Connect your store to your table twice, one connection to WBS and other to WBS_Amount assign fields to each other;

3. At visibility condition of main query table place formua store@WBS=='MAIN' or store@WBS_Amount==1

4. At visibility condition of WBS table place store@WBS<>'MAIN'

5. At visibility condition of WBS_Amount table place store@WBS_Amount<>1

Regards,

Gilson

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Mr Gilson,

I think, if I am not wrong, this only takes care of the visibility condition of the two tables i.e. two drilldown/supporting tables. How do I make the navigation to the two supporting tables when the user clicks on a WBS row or to the second table when the user clicks on the WBS amount row?

Please note I will have to pass the value of the WBS element that the user clicked on because my supporting query needs that as an input.

I will try to play a little bit more and await for feedback.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear friend,

You can test it and see that values are also been passed. However you don't pass values by only selecting a row. You have to add a toolbar button to trigger this action.

Regards,

Gilson

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I really dont want to use a button. There is a Action Tab on the Field WBS Element and WBS_Amount, can I use that to raise custom events like evt1 and evt2?

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey,

If i correctly understand ur problem,then u want that when u click on a row in the output table , then another table should give u a detailed desciption of that particular selected entry.....

for that u have to add another query to the storyboard and connect it with the table and map the required fields......this shud work as it does for me..

Hey i did nt understand that amount part ....tell me, the WBS element and the amount are the result from the first query only and r they being displayed in the same table ?????

Anshul Bhat

SAP BI & VC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes the requirement is to pass the value of the cell of a particular row to another query WHEN the user clicks on the row/cell.

So in essence I am trying to raise an event when the user clicks on a cell. I already know how to raise an event when user clicks on a ROW but the problem is that the standard event "SELECT" stores the whole row content and not the cell content.

Yes both the WBS and the WBS Element is from a single BI query and I need to display those in a single table. When the user clicks on the WBS cell or a single row ( i.e. intersection) it should either pop-up or show another detailed table from a DIFFERENT BI query which receives the WBS element from the 1st table as input. The same is true when the user clicks on a WBS_Amount field of a particular row but its needs to jump-to or pop-up a different BI query.

I can easily have two buttons do the job for me. The user can select a row and based on the button he/she clicks it will take them to the appropriate target query but the requirement is to not use two clicks (i.e. select row and then click button).

Thanks